Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on using 1 furnace for two small apartments

Hi,

I have a question. Would it be possible to use 1 furance to heat to small 2nd floor apartments approx 700 sq foot each?

I have inherited a 88,000 btu carrier performance 80 furance only 6 months old.

I have a 4 family house currently with an ancient steam single pipe gravity system. I would like to seperate the heat anddrop this furance into the attic and run duck work to both apartments on 2nd floor from the attic and drop vents/dampers in through the ceiling. My question is can each apartment have it's own thermostat and run independantly of each other?

Is there a special thermostat I need for this configuration?

as always thanks in advance for your help with this project.

kind regards,
    Chris

Re: Question on using 1 furnace for two small apartments

The short answer is probably.

I would not recommend anyone do it as a DIY project though.
    Last edited by radar_40; 04-17-2010, 04:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Nothing like having two tennants fighting over one Tstat.

What about cooling?

James

Comment

The only true means of give both apartments true temp control would be to put in zoning. The zoning controls would cost what a second furnace would cost. However the furnace you have is probably too big for just one apartment.

Comment

thx for responses guys. First off, I didn't plan on having 1 thermostat for both apartments i envisioned each apartment having it's own thermostat and each thermostat controlling it's own apartment. The duct work would be independant for each apartment.

Is this something commonly done? And lastly would this require two trunks: one for each apartment or just 1 main trunk and then everything branch off to the two apartments?

as always thx in advance,
          c

Comment

Code might not let you due to a fire hazzard. If one caught on fire it would transfer air (fire) to the other. If they do, you would need a zoning system with auto balancing dampers. You must remember though, your sharing air. If the one family loves curry and the other loves fish, that's gonna be baaaaaad for all!

Comment

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
              Code might not let you due to a fire hazzard. If one caught on fire it would transfer air (fire) to the other. If they do, you would need a zoning system with auto balancing dampers. You must remember though, your sharing air. If the one family loves curry and the other loves fish, that's gonna be baaaaaad for all!
              He would for sure need a fire damper. I would assume the code would require one penetrating a firewall between the apartments.

Comment

Good point RJM imagine if one smokes and one not, a very bad situation with a shared furnace, proper warm air zoning or not

Comment

Wow, good info. Thx guys. I think at this point I am going to scrap thsi idea and go with seperate furances for each apartment.

thx again for the insight!!

regards,
                  HM

Comment

Originally posted by harveymasons View Post
                    Wow, good info. Thx guys. I think at this point I am going to scrap thsi idea and go with seperate furances for each apartment.

thx again for the insight!!

regards,
                    HM
                    Craigs list the furnace. Betcha unload it but be patient since it's spring!

Comment

Working...
                    X