X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydronic boiler

One of My long time customers had a problem. Boiler for radiant heat was releasing water at
    the blow off! I was there to install sky lights and a new roof.Boiler is about 30 Yrs old,and
    reading 30 lbs! Ex tank has 2 weep rust pin holes. Replace ex Tank,pre charge 15 lbs.
    New 30 Lb TP , new Watts fill 15 lb. valve. Run furnace, bleed air. Boiler reads 15 lbs. again.
    Love My trades .
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Hydronic boiler

Sounds like you pretty well handled it.

I had a similar service call on Sunday, except mine was complicated by a maintenance guy screwing with it for awhile before calling in a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
      Sounds like you pretty well handled it.

I had a similar service call on Sunday, except mine was complicated by a maintenance guy screwing with it for awhile before calling in a pro.
      Helps when You grow up with boilers. My old home was Mass., and hydronics was our heat. I believe It's a novelty to many Calif. plumbers.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We're mostly oil burning high mass boilers here.

These days, servicing them is about 70% of my work.

There's alot of hacks around, most of them are licensed

We get alot of repeat business and referrals because we actually believe in doing good service, and actually understand how stuff is supposed to work.

Comment

Smart move on changing the PRV also, many would replace tank & relief and leave to be called back for a creeping pressure.

Its amazing how many PRV's are not changed with new boiler replacements, stupid! (tanks for that matter too!)

Comment

It depends on the call....

If we've never seen the place and it's obviously been band-aided together for a while, we'll make sure it's good to go before we leave.

At a minimum, we take care of any safety issues. If we can't at least do that, we leave. Can't take the liability if the customer won't let us make it safe.

If it's a system we're familar with, it's usually not as big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
              Smart move on changing the PRV also, many would replace tank & relief and leave to be called back for a creeping pressure.

Its amazing how many PRV's are not changed with new boiler replacements, stupid! (tanks for that matter too!)
              I thought it was the wise thing to do. This Gal has given Us around $200,000 in work over the Years. About $140,000 of that was retaining walls, spa
              driveway, blue stone ect. Not going to chance on an old P.R.V. valve.

Comment

Re: Hydronic boiler, and a LIL more !

We're mostly oil burning high mass boilers here.

These days, servicing them is about 70% of my work.

There's alot of hacks around, most of them are licensed

We get a lot of repeat business and referrals because we actually believe in doing good service, and actually understand how stuff is supposed to work.
                We also had Oil heat in Mass.Funny story about 1957 I'm in the 9 th grade. Sweet girl asks Me to the Girls Club dance. I am instructed by Mom to bring flowers,Shake hands with parents, Help Her with coat. Dad is in the oil heating Buss. House smells of #2! Hold coat for Pauline [parents
                beaming] She snaps Her arm into sleeve, fist hits Me right in crotch ! I double up Tears in
                My eyes, We leave. Tough being Young!

Comment

My van tends tp smell like fuel these days too... I guess I should find a burner tech's daughter to date

Generally I replace a relief valve after it pops.

I figure it's done it's job and protected the building, and occupants, so it's worth it.

Also, it seems that they get minerals and junk in them and frequestly don't wanna reseat without leaking anyway (almost nobody excercises their valves).

Comment

My van tends tp smell like fuel these days too... I guess I should find a burner tech's daughter to date

Generally I replace a relief valve after it pops.

I figure it's done it's job and protected the building, and occupants, so it's worth it.

Also, it seems that they get minerals and junk in them and frequestly don't wanna reseat without leaking anyway (almost nobody excercises their valves).
                    That seems always the case and it Pi$$es Me off!

Comment

Sounds like you did everything right. You say the system is 30 years old and radiant. My question is what type of tube do they have in the floor. If it is not O2 barrier then you may want to put in several quarts of Hercules Boiler Cleaner and check the pumps to be stainless or bronze.

Comment

Working...
                      X