X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Commercial A/C question

Myself and my brother are partners in a retail shoppe in his town. He basically runs the place and I get a cut of the profit for my initial investment.

My question is this. The store has been open for 4 years, and every summer once or twice the A/C would "freeze up." The landlord termed it that.

Well this year there was an actual problem with the A/C, or so we were told by the HVAC guy, something about the electrical connections getting loose.

He also said the fan we had was real bad and ready to go. We decided to have it replaced, and now the A/C has "froze up" 3 times in the past week, and the HVAC guy says this is the problem:

The unit is a 5 ton unit that is much too big for the space. There is not enough duct work and vents to supply the unit with enough warm air or get enough cold air out fast enough. To remedy the problem there are only three fixes.

New unit, $2,000 of additional (and unnecessary) duct work, or an anti freeze thing to stop the A/C when it gets close to freezing automatically.

Why would this be a problem if it never was before, even if the unit is too big for the space?

I guess my real question is, am I getting hosed?

thanks in advance to all!

Re: Help with Commercial A/C question

#1 thing i'm thinking is a dirty evaporator. Next thing is if someone tells you what's needed(ductwork), what experience do you have to say it's unnessary? Maybe get a second opinion from a NATE certified company.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

my only experience is the prior 4 years with very minimal issues. If I were an HVAC guy, I would not have had to ask.

Is there a way I can see if the evaporator is dirty? or is that something I would need to take the unit apart to see?

thanks

Comment

The fan can be wired to operate at different speeds. If the new fan was wired to run slower than what you had before, this could be a cause.

A dirty air filter or evaporator coil are some other causes.

Comment

I'm no expert but wouldn't a low charge be a likely cause of freezing?

Comment

Give us the model #'s of the Furnace and Coil and take a temperature reading of the air returning to the unit and the air being blown out of the unit.

Other Posters are giving great advice
            -Nate Certified shops have passed testing so they have a better chance of diagnosing your problem
            -Airflow issues are the #1 cause of evaporator freeze ups.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick17 View Post
              my only experience is the prior 4 years with very minimal issues. If I were an HVAC guy, I would not have had to ask.

Is there a way I can see if the evaporator is dirty? or is that something I would need to take the unit apart to see?

thanks
              If it's a package unit, usually you can remove a panel to view the evaporator coil.

Comment

thanks for the help. I am going there now and I will get back to all.

Comment

Just an FYI to all.

I had another company come out to clean the unit last Thursday.

No problems, (knock on wood) with freeze ups so far.

thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X