X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Steam Boiler For a Mine

I get a call from a mine that wants to expell mine water by steaming it off and then disposing of the residue. I do a lot of water boilers but not that many steam. What type of boiler would you use immersion or electrode? How would you prevent sludging of the boiler? What type of system would allow for easy recovery of the residue? The goal is to boil off 500 to 1000 gallons per day with the latter being better.

Re: Electric Steam Boiler For a Mine

A 1000 gallons of water without materials in it (filtered) would weigh 8,340 lbs.

Assuming the water is 60 degrees you would need to raise the temp 165 degrees. It would take 8,340 x 165 = 1,376,100 BTU's at a minimum to accomplish that, and with standby loss, closer to 1.5 million.

Since 1KW (1,000 watts) = 3,413 BTU's, it would take almost 450 KW or 45 HP to accomplish this task.

They are available

Comment

I am considering a vacuum vessel to decrease the amount of heat required and a heat exchanger operated by a steam coil. Seperating the boiler water saves the boiler and looes eff. of the operation. Using steam regains the needed temps.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong...but wouldn't that do the task in one hour? We do have all day to do this. The mine operates 24/7.

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
        A 1000 gallons of water without materials in it (filtered) would weigh 8,340 lbs.

Assuming the water is 60 degrees you would need to raise the temp 165 degrees. It would take 8,340 x 165 = 1,376,100 BTU's at a minimum to accomplish that, and with standby loss, closer to 1.5 million.

Since 1KW (1,000 watts) = 3,413 BTU's, it would take almost 450 KW or 45 HP to accomplish this task.

They are available

Comment

Yes, you could certainly batch feed the boiler which would change the calcs, didn't read into that option in your original post

Comment

Working...
          X