Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Central a/c tuneup

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
    First off Kevin, there is no way an evap needs regular cleaning ever. If it gets dirty, the filter isn't working or doesn't fit right. If it's left out by the homeowner, removal and cleaning is very difficult. If the lines need to be cut and charge recovered, it might has well be replaced.
    Kevin covered the coil cleaning so my question is why would you ever need to recover the refrigerant when replacing just the evap coil? 16 years my a$$. lol
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Kevin covered the coil cleaning so my question is why would you ever need to recover the refrigerant when replacing just the evap coil? 16 years my a$$. lol
      Do you mean the condenser unit can be a storage area? Do you mean the stop valves at the condenser have a use? That must mean the compressor in the unit is your tool too... But let me charge you $300/hr to continue my appenticeship.

Comment

His cost on a capacitor is under $20 most likely. So if he is already there and you have paid a service call charge for that, then $327 to replace the capacitory just sounds like a number out of a "book". Frankly, things like this give service companies a bad rep.

Now, if a capacitor LOOKS bad....swelled, any signs of leakage around the seams or terminals, it is a good idea to replace it. Cheap insurance. A little rust on the metal can....let it go.

A capacitor is like any other electrical component. Even money that it will last the life of the equipment. But only NASA builds equipment approaching 100% failure free over expected life. So , stuff happens. If it goes bad, replace it and go on.
        Last edited by lovetheUSA; 06-13-2010, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the useful info. No, it doesn't seem to struggle to start or hum. I mean, it's loud but it seems fine. I think I will leave it as it is for now. All the technician said was that it was rusty and "weak" whatever that means.

Comment

I've had to recover refrigerant before changing out an evap. coil. Some dumbass ruined the valves on the intial install.

I usually pump down the refrigerant into the condenser and do my thing if possible.

I also have some older Bryant units with the back seat type service valves. Mighty Joe Young would have a hard time closing these.

James

Comment

Would you feel better if I said pumping the unit down or can a professional see through a verbage slip up? Sorry!
              As for the rest, I'm gonna step back and let your dumb banter speak for it's self. BTW, I don't bring gages to a tune up but I'm there not to clean it, but to find, prevent, and minimize failures. Cleaning is just the easy part the homeowner could do themselves.
              Any "tech" who would clean an evap on a tune up must only have two calls a day. And just what do you charge? Screwing them or yourself on that one?
              Silly stuff here lately, I'll inquire HVAC talks forum and see what those guys (Waaaaay better than I could ever be) think about this.
              FYI, RSES had a nice article on UV lights to keep coils nice and shiney, from the stuff that gets through a filter, you should check it out. LOL

Comment

Guys ... Please let's not turn this thread into a feud. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
                  Any "tech" who would clean an evap on a tune up must only have two calls a day. And just what do you charge? Screwing them or yourself on that one?
                  I charge by the hour and have a one hour minimum. Most systems I can completely service and clean in one hour...including the evap coil. So I am actually giving the customer their full hours worth of work. If it takes a bit longer, that's fine. I can adjust the bill as needed...there is no book telling me what time I have or parts I may use on the task. You just have to learn to think for yourself and more importantly think of the customer you are suppose to be helping.

Comment

rjm, best of luck whatever you do but no bs, you really don't know hvac. Go back to school. Your knowledge is really off base. I was once the same way as you. Learned the wrong way the first and continued the trend. When I went to college for hvac, I had to forget most of what I used to know as it was wrong. You seem to be in a similar situation. Hope you push pride aside and go back to school. You really need it.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gear junkie, get bent! Not only did I start this trade IN SCHOOL, I did it in the navy and then went back to SCHOOL at Universal Technical Institute. Not only were my grades very high but I also tutored. I have been tasked with training the green techs at multiple companies. I am NATE certified twice now and go to every training I can.
                      Don't assume you know me and don't assume your smarter. That simply makes you a bigger jag.
                      You were a jerk about the tankless water heater thing and your proving worse now. Go play in traffic.

Comment

I don't know you and never said I did, nor did I assume I was smarter but you made some big errors that made me (and apparently other)question your knowledge. The difference between pumpdown and recovery is huge as well as the entire coil comment was off. Don't be mad at me when you show your inexperience then are corrected. Go back to school or pick a different one because you really haven't retained the knowledge given to you. Have a nice day.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I can't believe I missed this thread...

Comment

Years ago when I took the EPA tests I did a lot of studing as one might imagine. I came across the naval HVAC ebooks and paid to download them. I was fool enough to believe the navy would have some good insight and their material would be useful. After reviewing the material I was amazed how completely useless the navy would be. I don't think I would be using the navy to justify ones knowledge.

You go right on ahead and do or don't do the service and pretend you did. Keep telling yourself that flat rating is actually fair to the customer for the service that is not being performed. In my shop if one said they did a full service minus one of the primary heat exchangers of a system...be it an air conditioner or a boiler, that person would be out the door to do the job right or pack his tools.

This is the reason why I told Natalie to find a trustworthy tech...as we can see not all are for sure. The companies that take advantage of the customer also tend to be the first ones listed in the yellow pages. My opinion only...

Comment

I am often amazed at how a simple question from the OP can spark such debate on here Why does everything have turn into a pissing match of self-importance?

Natalie1999 happens to be a friend of mine. Once again, I'll be apologizing for remarks made on a thread she started This happened before and it turned into a 6 page heated discussion about PRV's and thermal expansion

I'm still not sure who won that battle, Rick or Dunbar

As for the capacitor replacement?...I don't know or care but I will say my AC went out because of a bad capacitor during a 90 degree heat wave. NOTHING is more miserable than trying to sleep in a humid 85 degree house. I should have just stayed at the Marriott.

Comment

Squids gone wild!

I love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X