• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Central a/c tuneup

It's a Honeywell CT8775A, C.

Comment

On a digital T-stat in cooling mode it is normal for the unit to display one degree above before turning on the equipment and may also display one degree below set temp before turning off. The reverse would be true during heating mode.

The Honeywell Round T-stat you have is one that I have seen many failures. What I have seen with this unit is that it will lock into a constant run and the display temperature will be much higher than that of the room. On 5 seperate cases last year alone I had to replace them. The units were all less than one year in service. The ambient temperature was about 70F and the display would read in the mid 90's. The units were in heating mode and causing constant operation of the boiler.

Comment

I honestly cannot tell whether it was constantly running because it is really hot/humid lately. I have it set to 79 right now and seems to shut on/off fine.

If I change, is it easy to do myself? Any recommendations for a good thermostat and should I get a programmable one (people either rave about it or say they break easy)?

Comment

I like the Honeywell VisionPro. It's pricey, but has some nice programming features. Changing a thermostat is usually pretty staight forward. Just label the wires on the old one before disconnecting.

Comment

Thanks . I was just about to say that maybe I could get a reputable HVAC (if I could find one easily enough) to come out and see if it's working properly, and get the maintenance the other loser company didn't do. Or just replace the thermostat and do the maintenance some other time. Too many decisions!

Comment

If you are unsure of how to change that stat then I would suggest you get a good company out there. Also I also recommend the Honeywell vision pro. great stats and one for every application.
              DIRTFT

Comment

Third that on the Vision Pro if you want programmable. If non-programmable then the Honeywell 5000 has been very reliable thus far.

The most common problem with programmable T-stats are the end user not understanding them, messing up the program, and then having a go back call because the system is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                  Third that on the Vision Pro if you want programmable. If non-programmable then the Honeywell 5000 has been very reliable thus far.

The most common problem with programmable T-stats are the end user not understanding them, messing up the program, and then having a go back call because the system is not working.
                  Yea what he said

Comment

You want to find a reliable company? Ask your friends. Ask your family. Ask everyone in your area. Be careful who you ask if they tend to be long winded. You will get the story of their last experience even if it was 20 years ago.

If you happen to hear a good story by the same company 2,3 or more times? It is time to make a phone call.

If you are not certain of what you are doing...you can burn up expensive equipment by a mistaken electrical arc.

Comment

Working...
                    X