X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire nuts with stranded wire & solid wire

Connecting solid wire to stranded wire with wire nuts. I've not had any formal training on how to use wire nuts. I think you should connect stranded to soild wire similar to the way you do solid only wire. Twist the stranded wire so its like a solid wire (solder on twisted wire optional?). Put the twisted wire beside the solid wire and start the wire nut. I've seen connections that didn't seem good to me. The stranded wire was pushed to the bottom of the nut and not really in the nut. What's the correct way to use a wire nut?
    Thanks, Dennis...

Re: Wire nuts with stranded wire & solid wire

I strip the wire to equal lengths, place the wire ends side by side, start the wire nut, and tighten. Then I pull on the wires and wire nut to make sure they are connected securely.

The proper size wire nut is the key to a good connection.

James
    Last edited by James P; 06-20-2010, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I do the same as James. For small wire such as 18 awg, I'll strip the wire twice as long and then double it. This makes for a more secure connection in the wire nut.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks guys, I also posted wire nuts in electrician forum if you want to see the response.
        I was watching a installer wiring a pump in a lift station. I didn't think he was doing the wire nuts in the best way. I wanted to check with you guys before I give him any friendly advise.

Comment

I started using twist lock plugs instead of wirenuts on lift stations

The cost is a little higher, but no messy wirenuts to deal with, or worry about dropping into the tank to jamb up a pump

It also allows for easier component change out. Just make sure to use a different twist lock for pumps than the one used for floats to reduce the chance of incorrectly installing something.

Comment

Working...
          X