X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great timing... Bad AC Coil

Well my AC started freezing up over the weekend when it was 95 degrees So my wife and kids were sleeping over at her moms house and I was up trying to fix my AC.

2 problems. The drip tray under the coil is rusted all the way through so essentially no water is going through the drain.. just falling through the tray.

The big problem is the coils are just big blocks of ice. Most likely a small leak somewhere.

Having the coils replaced tonight hopefully (fingers crossed)

Thought i would share some of my pics. BTW... I really miss my AC

Attached Files

Re: Great timing... Bad AC Coil

josh, running your a/c non stop will cause it to freeze. also low on freon will also do that.

but then again, i wouldn't know as it's been real mild here

you should have seen it over new years 2009, when we had a weeks worth of 100+ weather

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      josh, running your a/c non stop will cause it to freeze. also low on freon will also do that.
      Why is that?

I thought that the reason the coils would typically freeze is insufficient airflow, so that there wasn't enough warm air from the house to take the heat out of the coil.

Comment

For temporary relief:

Thaw the coil out by turning on the heat for about 20 minutes and leave the fan running.

Then turn the a/c back on. It might freeze back up or could work til new coil shows up

other option:
        stay at the Marriott

Comment

Yeah.. 95 degree weather probably isn't good for giving the AC a break. Runs pretty much constantly... especially with a pregnant wife in the house who wants it on 73 .

I may have lucked out and will have a new coil in tonight. If not it is thawed out and dry and will likely run for a day or two without freezing up again. I need to check my filter again to make sure its clean. Its been a few months.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            running your a/c non stop will cause it to freeze. rick.
            I can't wait to take an A/C class taught by you.

The function of gasses changing state is most certainly reliant upon how tired the gas is. Should I provide my A/C with another A/C to make the gas happy so it can work better?

Comment

A/C systems freeze for either poor flow or low charge. Your tech should be able to give a real answer.

As for the condensate pan. I had a guy try to sell me on a new system because he could not order a new pan. 6 sets of J.B. Weld with the old pan made a new pan that lasted many more years. It maybe still lasting I don't know as I sold the house. That was back in the duct work days.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                Why is that?

I thought that the reason the coils would typically freeze is insufficient airflow, so that there wasn't enough warm air from the house to take the heat out of the coil.
                In theory this could happen but a couple conditions must be right such as already a low charge of refrigerant and/or the thermostat set waaaay down.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  Yeah.. 95 degree weather probably isn't good for giving the AC a break. Runs pretty much constantly... especially with a pregnant wife in the house who wants it on 73 .

I may have lucked out and will have a new coil in tonight. If not it is thawed out and dry and will likely run for a day or two without freezing up again. I need to check my filter again to make sure its clean. Its been a few months.

Josh
                  Congrats, just saw you're having another kid.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    For temporary relief:

Thaw the coil out by turning on the heat for about 20 minutes and leave the fan running.

Then turn the a/c back on. It might freeze back up or could work til new coil shows up

other option:
                    stay at the Marriott
                    Very true but some manufactures set the heat exchanger past the a coil so the heat never really hits the coil. For a heat pump, the coil is defrosted in 5 minutes.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We are back up and running and everything is all good. Wife is happy and my house is holding at 74 AC coil was 20 years old so we just replaced it. the guy that did it is a good friend from church so we just swapped the coil at cost. 2.5 ton coil this time too. Old one was pretty rusted.

Josh

Comment

Did you also replace your condensor? Otherwise, you're wasting any efficency from a new evap.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

already had a new condensor. Had everything switched out a few years ago except the evaporator. Squeezed another 5 years out of it. So it was time.

Comment

Working...
                          X