X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Start Capacitor

Is there any advantage to installing a Hard Start Capacitor on a new Condensing unit?

The topic came up in one of my plumbing supply houses, and I had no idea.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Hard Start Capacitor

No, unless the new compressor is really tight but more often used when the supply voltage is at the lower end of the compressor specs and the extra jolt is needed to get it started.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong please.

I understand hard start capacitors may be useful in cold climate areas. Say a hotel lobby in Colorado, where the A/C runs all year long due to body and light heat gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post

I understand hard start capacitors may be useful in cold climate areas. Say a hotel lobby in Colorado, where the A/C runs all year long due to body and light heat gain.
        Correct Kevin, that too. I left the cold climates years ago.
        In cold climates they can be used in conjunction with sump heaters and ambient/head pressure sensing condenser fan controls.

But usually a good compressor heater or a scroll compressor negates the need for a hard start kit for cold weather operation. Then of course there are economizer systems that will introduce the cold air when conditions are right to avoid running the compressor.
        Last edited by Lee H; 07-07-2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post

One would think a commercial unit would be 3phase. About the only time I use hard starts are on old Bristols and a few scrolls. I have replaced a few evap. coils with non bleed TXV's and had to add a start relay and cap.

James
          Last edited by James P; 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
            One would think a commercial unit would be 3phase. About the only time I use hard starts are on old Bristols and a few scrolls. I have replaced a few evap. coils with non bleed TXV's and had to add a start relay and cap.

James
            This was a typical do it as cheap as possible. They have 13 residential units, ranging from 3 to mostly 5 tons. These units are all starting to feel their age now.

Comment

Working...
            X