X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crap

I had a service call for an old 2 ton split system AC on wednesday, Capacitor on the condensor was blown. replaced it, checked pressures, everything is cooling normally. That was wednesday, thursday they call and tell me it isn't cooling again. This time the condensor fan isn't running, test it and it's gone to ground. Replaced that, then tonight they call, it isn't cooling again. By the time I get there, they've had it off for over an hour, the new fan I just installed is still warm to the touch, and it's grounded out. test the compressor, and it's bit the big one as well.

Did I just get into the chain of events while the unit was in it's death throes, or could I have done something stupid here, every time I have left this unit it has been cooling and functioning normally.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: crap

was/ is the voltage correct?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I read 120v on each leg. but to be honest, I didn't think to check amperage. If it matters, between the fan being replaced, and the whole thing shitting the bed we had a Heck of a thunderstorm. but nothing else in the house was affected.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Things happen.

If the internal overload was open the compressor will not run until it cools down. With a bad condenser fan motor or cap. this will happen.

Was the compresser windings reading an open or a short?

I always run water over the compressor to cool it down, if I show an open winding with an ohm meter and the top of the compressor (recip comp.) is hot to the touch.

James

Comment

I had no continuity between the leads on the compressor, but it had not gone to ground. The new fan I put in was smoked though.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
            I had no continuity between the leads on the compressor, but it had not gone to ground. The new fan I put in was smoked though.
            Unusual for a new motor to crap out so soon. Always make sure you replace a condenser fan motor with one a close as possible to the original. I've seen motors with an open shaft end on a shaft up application. Without a shield or a closed end these don't last long.
            Also make sure you remove the plug on the lower end bell of the motor. I was guilty of this once. Doesn't take long for a fan motor to fill with water from condensation.

Chances are when it cooled down the compressor would have ran, maybe.

James

Comment

yeah, I moved the plug to cover the hole in the top, it was a universal motor, went from 1/8th horse to 1/6th so maybe that had something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                yeah, I moved the plug to cover the hole in the top, it was a universal motor, went from 1/8th horse to 1/6th so maybe that had something to do with it.
                The old Rheem /Ruud condensing unit replacement motors were 2 speed 875 & 1050 rpm like you describe. I remember the Fasco part # S719. Replaced a boat load of them at an old apartment complex I used to moonlight years ago.

James

Comment

Working...
                X