X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV Light & Smells

I asked in another thread about looking for leaks in vent systems of plumbing because I have a customer with an on/off odor problem. I did one test and found nothing. I told them I was leaning toward something related to the HVAC & once had a job where a dead squirrels' smell got into the duct system.

On that job they were insistent it was the plumbing system until proven wrong.

I have never experienced any odor they've decribed on the current job-until today.

Two separate HVAC zones. Downstairs & upstairs. I could get a faint odor in the upstairs system. It has been noticed more in the downstairs zone but I have not experienced it yet.

The "odor" seems musty then will gain some strength, but only for a couple of seconds, then goes away or your nose gets used to it. Then you get another whiff of it a couple of seconds later stepping away from the duct and coming back. Just seems to depend on the right circumstances.

What I experienced did NOT smell like sewer gas or a dead animal though. (On a side note, many here know those are two different odors. But many customers confuse the two all the time.)

I've told them to get an HVAC person there. They've been trying to get their regular guy but I'm sure he is doing triage where he can as it has been bumping 100 lately. And an on/off odor shouldn't necessarily get top billing.

I told them it could be a condensation/dust/mold situation but was in no way sure and not to panic about the mold word.

I asked did they have a UV light in the system. They said no. Told them they might want to ask about it and that an HVAC pro should know if it can help.

Any ideas or experiences about the mysterious odor?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: UV Light & Smells

JC, smells are the tuffest...

First thing I try to do is localize the smell (where is it or what situation makes brings about the smell or makes it worse or better ect...) Here is how I attack smells.

1. Reset all of the toilets (new wax rings)
    2. Verify that all traps are holding water (not back pitched, properly vented or operational magic vents, no leaks, )
    3.Check the dishwasher drain (verify that it is installed properly and trapped properly)
    4.Pull the evaporator cover (it should be insulated) and smell the coil side take a clean rag and wipe the inside and have the owner smell
    5. Pull a register and wipe the inside of the ductwork with a clean
    cloth (have owner smell cloth)
    6. If the owner keys on one of the cloths have the ductwork video inspected and professionally cleaned.
    7. Clean Evaporator with a good no rinse cleaner
    8. Clean and flush Evaporator Condensate Pan and condensate lines *** by what you described I would start here***
    9. Video Inspect sewer and vent lines (no cracks or bad joints)

Just a few Ideas to start with... I will usually find the source of the smell doing these things, I have a few more tricks up my sleeve for the one in a hundred that this list does not catch

Comment

Thanks Bill. I just got a call that the HVAC guy is there checking some things and he found a TXT leaking.

Sooooo....I'll replace that tomorrow and see if he made any discoveries.

I'll post back.

Now for the UV light. What's the purpose? Why are there so many systems without them that appear to function ok? Should they have one too?

Just learning.

Thanks again.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Thanks Bill. I just got a call that the HVAC guy is there checking some things and he found a TXT leaking.

Sooooo....I'll replace that tomorrow and see if he made any discoveries.

I'll post back.

Now for the UV light. What's the purpose? Why are there so many systems without them that appear to function ok? Should they have one too?

Just learning.

Thanks again.

J.C.

JC, Did you mean a TXV leaking...
        A UV light is not a necessary component in an HVAC system, My guess is the suggestion is an attempt at treating the symptom but it will not fix the problem.

Do you trust the HVAC guy JC?

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          JC, Did you mean a TXV leaking...
          A UV light is not a necessary component in an HVAC system, My guess is the suggestion is an attempt at treating the symptom but it will not fix the problem.

Do you trust the HVAC guy JC?
          I don't know the HVAC guy, but have heard positive things.

The UV light has not been suggested by him to my knowledge, I just mentioned it to them to discuss with them and that I really was no HVAC person but he should have some knowledge about what's good or bad about one.

TXT. Not HVAC. He spotted a plumbing leak.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
          X