5/35 vs 5/45 capacitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/35 vs 5/45 capacitor

Daughter calls and her AC isn't working. Find bad capacitor, 5/45. It is Sunday, and I do have a 5/35. Install it, unit runs, amperage is well within spec. What risk to unit is there using the 5/35 until tomorrow? Thanks.

Re: 5/35 vs 5/45 capacitor

Compressor may try to overheat and go out on internals after a few hours of operation... The risk would be that the compressor gets too hot and the internals do not reset or a winding opens (both worst case). Keep an eye on it

Something else to remember is that capacitors are additive (not sure I worded that right), you can string a 35mfd and a couple of 5 MFD's in series to get your 45 MFD in a pinch...

Bill
    Last edited by OkieBill; 08-15-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Bill, I know what you are says but some may read it wrong. Capicitors add in parallel, a 35 and two 5's in parallel add to 45.
      35 in series with two 5's is 2.33

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
        Bill, I know what you are says but some may read it wrong. Capicitors add in parallel, a 35 and two 5's in parallel add to 45.
        35 in series with two 5's is 2.33
        Thanks for getting the wording right, Series was the wrong word to use for sure...

Comment

I replaced one recently on a unit that had the compressor replaced last year. The tech from a well known retailer used the original 40mfd. capacitor. Did some research and found the replacement comp. used a 50mfd. In a pinch I'll get as close as possible until I can get the correct one. Usually the next morning.
          Have also did the parallel route, if I have enough space in the control box.

James

Comment

I was assuming it was a dual cap....either for start/run on one motor, or a start capacitor for the compressor and the fan. He didn't say it was two caps paralleled to achieve a certain value. It is true that if you put two caps in parallel, you add the values.

Comment

Working...
            X