X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R410a

Tomorrow we are installing our first R410a condenser. Now this is being done in a totally re-done twin home, so there is no R-22 we are taking out, and the home never had A/C before.

We already have the furnace installed and all is left is line-sets and condenser. Is there anything I should be aware of with the R410a system besides the higher pressure?

We already bought a dedicated manifold gauge strictly for R410a so we have that covered.

Re: R410a

Pull a solid vac as 410A is a bit more sensitive to moisture (don't do any of the short cuts ie "push through evacuation" ect..).

If you have to add to the charge charge liquid only and add it slowly.

Bill

Comment

Be very careful if it is a Goodman.

J.C.

Comment

We always do 30 minute vacuums anytime we install or repair a system. It might seem excessive to some, but we feel as though that's why we never have compressor problems from the start. I never heard of a "push through" evac. before.

We are installing about 30 ft of line-set so..we shall see what the gauges read when we fire the system up tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be about 90 degrees here tomorrow. What would you say the high side should read?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Be very careful if it is a Goodman.

J.C.
          very funny

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            We always do 30 minute vacuums anytime we install or repair a system. It might seem excessive to some, but we feel as though that's why we never have compressor problems from the start. I never heard of a "push through" evac. before.

We are installing about 30 ft of line-set so..we shall see what the gauges read when we fire the system up tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be about 90 degrees here tomorrow. What would you say the high side should read?
            I thinking a sweep through with nitrogen. The old fashioned way, was with refrigerant before venting became a no no.

330-350 psig

Make sure you check your fuse sizes with 410A. 410A units require a higher amperage fuse/breaker than comparable R22 units.

James

Comment

Might need to get a PT chart as well Flux, I gotta ask what does the length of time you pull a vac have to do with the quality of the vac? When I say pull a good vac I mean pull a sub 500 micron vacuum

A factory sealed condenser has enough charge for 25' of line, when you turn on the system you will need to add a bit ( a warm interior space will make your pressures look ok so don't be fooled).

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                [/COLOR]

Might need to get a PT chart as well Flux, I gotta ask what does the length of time you pull a vac have to do with the quality of the vac? When I say pull a good vac I mean pull a sub 500 micron vacuum

A factory sealed condenser has enough charge for 25' of line, when you turn on the system you will need to add a bit ( a warm interior space will make your pressures look ok so don't be fooled).

Bill,

It has a lot to do with quality. Running a vacuum pump down to 500 microns and calling it good does squat. It takes time to remove non condensibles from a system. Depending on the situation I've let pumps run for 24hrs @ 50 microns.

James

Comment

Timed Evac's mean nothing, its all about the vac in microns.

Comment

a good micron gauge is a must.

Pull it down and weigh the charge in.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's weird how tech's are split down the middle, on what's important when pulling a vacuum.

Comment

It's weird how tech's are split down the middle, on what's important when pulling a vacuum.
                        To each his own. I know the way I was taught might not be the same as others. I consider 30 minutes deep vacuum time on a new install adequete. Since you are only dehydrating the line set and evaporator. I usually run an hour, valve off the pump and check for a pressure rise.

James

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                          To each his own. I know the way I was taught might not be the same as others. I consider 30 minutes deep vacuum time on a new install adequete. Since you are only dehydrating the line set and evaporator. I usually run an hour, valve off the pump and check for a pressure rise.

James
                          I was taught one way as well, and had it reaffirmed (for the most part) in A/C school. There is more than one way to achieve any goal. I never have to go back on any of the units I install so..something is being done right.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                            Bill,

It has a lot to do with quality. Running a vacuum pump down to 500 microns and calling it good does squat. It takes time to remove non condensibles from a system. Depending on the situation I've let pumps run for 24hrs @ 50 microns.

James
                            I gotta disagree with you here James If you can hit less then 500 Micron your system is tight, of course pulling a longer vac is better but time is not the determining factor the micron reading is and that was the point

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                              I gotta disagree with you here James If you can hit less then 500 Micron your system is tight, of course pulling a longer vac is better but time is not the determining factor the micron reading is and that was the point
                              I should probably take blame for that, as I didn't spell that out from the beginning. I didn't think I had to say that, because I thought most people would know what I meant. I agree that time is only apart of what's important but micron reading is the deciding factor.
                              Last edited by Flux; 08-17-2010, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X