Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Dry 22 units Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dry 22 units

    There are now companies selling air conditioning condenser units.....R22. They are shipped "dry" with no refrigerant charge, and the correct amount of R22 oil. Then just a small charge with dry nitrogen. You add the R22 at install.

    They are labeled as "replacement component only" which is apparently the loophole that allows these to be manufacturered like this....it is not "new installation" just a replacement.

    Anyone using these, and where is algore when you need him? I can't believe the EPA is allowing this apparent huge loophole.

  • #2
    Re: Dry 22 units

    Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
    There are now companies selling air conditioning condenser units.....R22. They are shipped "dry" with no refrigerant charge, and the correct amount of R22 oil. Then just a small charge with dry nitrogen. You add the R22 at install.

    They are labeled as "replacement component only" which is apparently the loophole that allows these to be manufacturered like this....it is not "new installation" just a replacement.

    Anyone using these, and where is algore when you need him? I can't believe the EPA is allowing this apparent huge loophole.
    Our company is using therm, and I'm damned happy. If you have a newer R-22 evap coil with an older cond. unit these are great.

    Whenever I change out a furnace I usualy install a new evap coil. Saves you from cobbling up a transition or using blank-off plates and two rolls of silver tape.

    Went to one residence where some con man replaced the cond. unit with a 410A unit and didn't replace the 20 year old 22 evap. coil.
    They wanted me to check it out because it wasn't cooling. I collected my service call $ and beat it to the truck.

    James
    Last edited by James P; 09-14-2010, 08:50 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Dry 22 units

      Originally posted by James P View Post
      Our company is using therm, and I'm damned happy. If you have a newer R-22 evap coil with an older cond. unit these are great.

      Whenever I change out a furnace I usualy install a new evap coil. Saves you from cobbling up a transition or using blank-off plates and two rolls of silver tape.

      Went to one residence where some con man replaced the cond. unit with a 410A unit and didn't replace the 20 year old 22 evap. coil.
      The wanted me to check it out because it wasn't cooling. I collected my service call $ and beat it to the truck.

      James
      But you quoted him for a new system and reminded him cheaper is almost NEVER better right?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Dry 22 units

        Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
        But you quoted him for a new system and reminded him cheaper is almost NEVER better right?
        I didn't quote him a price to repair or replace. I didn't want to touch it.

        The guy is a cheapskate slumlord. He probably thought he was getting a whale of a deal from the installer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Dry 22 units

          Originally posted by James P View Post
          I didn't quote him a price to repair or replace. I didn't want to touch it.

          The guy is a cheapskate slumlord. He probably thought he was getting a whale of a deal from the installer.
          Good move.
          Time flies like an arrow.

          Fruit flies like a banana.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Dry 22 units are not all bad.

            I have installed a couple of these units. They work very well for what they are intended for. It amazes me how some people think everyone can afford a hybrid auto, or a low water usage clothes washer. well some people have trouble getting $1500.00 to $4000.00 to get a dry 22 unit installed. So telling them they need $6000.00 to $12000.00? But I'm sure you would tell the single mother struggling to get by that she will just have to go with out food, or walk to work because you know better than she does.
            Last edited by krustyOkrab; 07-24-2011, 11:51 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Dry 22 units

              I just disovered your forum while looking into this 'dry' relacement issue. I have an old H/P condensing unit thats got to go. My evap unit is 8 years old and money being what it is this dry condensor replacement looks good. I realize my evap could go also but as others have said we just dont have the 5000$ plus for a total job, its a gambel. These dry unit alternatives look good when done by someone reputable. Thank you for the information, it helps in the decision

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Dry 22 units

                The State of Florida code, requires the indoor unit to match the outdoor unit, must be Rated as a system by ahri.com . Most all Dry R22 units are not, so they are installed without the benifit of a permit and inspection, designed to protect your heath,safety and welfare/


                If not permitted ,and caught by the building dept., thy will require a permit and if a licensed contractor ,failed to pull the permit, he will be required to and will need to bring the job up to code/ Good news is he will have to give you a matching indoor unit ,or lose his license.

                Comment

                Working...
                X