X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower speed?

I have a 5 yr old Amana that has the air handler blower set to high (black) for the cool cycle and med-hi (blue) for the heat cycle.
    The blower motor shuts off on the cool cycle after a couple minutes and the compresser is still running and there is voltage going to the blower motor. If left alone, the blower motor will come back on in a few minutes for only a couple minute and then it repeats this cycling. The motor is reading 8 amps and is rated for 8.8 amps.
    When I switched the blue and black wires on the control board the cool cycle does not cycle the blower and the blower motor is reading 4 amps.
    My question is can I leave the cool cycle at the med-hi speed without hurting the A/C system?
    Thank you.

Re: Blower speed?

sounds like the motor is tripping on the thermal overload. have you tried to clean the fan blades and take a load off of it?

does the motor spin freely? belts not too tight?

newer motor are sealed and usually don't require oiling.

the slower speed will push out less volume cfm than the higher speed. i doubt it will hurt the a/c as it's not going to freeze, but you're registers might not be balanced properly for the reduced air flow. the further registers might lack some cooling.

charlie, do you agree

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

yes i do Rick
      if the blower is on a lower speed it may not move enough air across the coil to dehumidify the house ,it all depends if the system is sized right for the house . most time the systems are to big because they dont know what they are doing and think over cooling will work but it doesn't
      it will work until you get a new motor
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post
        I have a 5 yr old Amana that has the air handler blower set to high (black) for the cool cycle and med-hi (blue) for the heat cycle.
        The blower motor shuts off on the cool cycle after a couple minutes and the compresser is still running and there is voltage going to the blower motor. If left alone, the blower motor will come back on in a few minutes for only a couple minute and then it repeats this cycling. The motor is reading 8 amps and is rated for 8.8 amps.
        When I switched the blue and black wires on the control board the cool cycle does not cycle the blower and the blower motor is reading 4 amps.
        My question is can I leave the cool cycle at the med-hi speed without hurting the A/C system?
        Thank you.
        A 5 year old Amana/Goodman the motor should be covered under the parts warranty.

James

Comment

Thanks to all for the info, the house is cooling fine at the lower blower speed but a new motor is on the way because I don't want to be sitting in freezing temps this winter with no furnace.

It is under warranty but the labor to get the "free" motor is $250 and the one via internet is $150. So guess which one is on the way.

The capacitor was leaking so I replaced it. The motor has worked for 5 years with no changes in the system so I'm not sure why the motor is suddenly cycling on thermal overload but hopefully the new motor solves the problem.

Comment

The lower blower speed would actually dehumidify better but it may not distribute the air as well is all. I would say replacing the cap first before the motor wouldn't be a bad idea. And always do the cap if you do the motor.

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

The new motor is installed and it pulls 7.5 amps on the black (High) wire. I'll switch the cooling back to High like it was originaly setup.

Comment

Working...
              X