Nautral Gas Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautral Gas Line

Weird thing last night, in front of my duplex they are rebuilding the street, and for the third time this summer they hit a gas line and had to shut off the gas on the street to fix it. One tenant called and said her furnace wouldn't work, so I went down and thought maybe she was just getting air from the lines, so I removed the cap off of the drip leg, all black iron piping, to purge the gas line. When I removed the cap, there was a thin layer of very black thick oily material in the cap, it smelled very strong of the odorizer they put into natural gas for safety, I'm wondering does anyone know if the odorizer can precipitate from the gas over time? The other furnace has only been in for 2 years, I checked it and there was no black residue in that cap. After purging the gas line, the furnace worked fine.

Re: Nautral Gas Line

sounds like the residual cutting oil finally collected at the low spot/ drip leg.

drip legs were used years ago out here. haven't seen a new one for years.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm going to get a sample this weekend and analyze it. Our metals lab can tell me what it is, if it is something interesting I'll post it.

Comment

Some higher pressure services have odorant pots at the customers service... Typically this is when a customers service comes off of a high pressure line (400psi or greater)... The high pressure transmission lines do not have Mercaptain added to it until the pressure is reduced thus the need for an odorant pot.

I tend to believe that you may have gotten a little moisture in the line from the break/s and the drip leg did its job, the moisture would pick up any residual mercaptain in the lines as it tends to "get into the metal".

Comment

Inspectors here want drip legs

wookie

Comment

Is the neutral gas line the WHITE one ?????
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
              Inspectors here want drip legs

wookie
              WHOOO !! Why does Rick say He hasn't done drip legs in years !
              He also plumbs in S. Calif.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                City of Anaheim. Whole house gas repipes.

wookie

Comment

Just remembered years ago took a class at the gas co for earthquake valve installations. If oil residue was found contact gas co asap might be pcb's???????? might have my facts jacked up but thats how I recall it. They did say it would be rare.

wookie

Comment

wookies in the "oc"

i'm in the 90210

15 years of new construction and not 1 time were we asked or installed a drip leg. these were all commercial inspectors.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Drips are required up here in san francisco every vertical to horizontial change of direction. And also at a appliance with a ground joint union. It also provides easy acess to a pressure tap..if i was takin a inlet reading at a boiler gas valve or water heater etc..

But it sounds like cutting oil to me..

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                        Drips are required up here in san francisco every vertical to horizontial change of direction. And also at a appliance with a ground joint union. It also provides easy acess to a pressure tap..if i was takin a inlet reading at a boiler gas valve or water heater etc..

But it sounds like cutting oil to me..
                        Dan Shea told Me He wanted one on each 90 degree of pipe. Didn't happen

Comment

Dan Shea told Me He wanted one on each 90 degree of pipe. Didn't happen

He's either has fully lost his mind or hes efffing with you.. He failed one of our jobs on a finish inspection recently. The ice maker supply isolation valve located in a dead space in a upper kitchen cabinet was "too high for the homeowner to reach without a ladder" he said.
                          Long story short i went down to the building dept talked to the chief inspector told him "shea was out out on our job failed our inspection beacuse the isolation valve was 7' off the floor in a cabinet he said thats not considered acessible" lol panelli rolled his eyes and signed the job card off no questions asked... At one point i thought he was a fair inspector but lately i've been thinking hes insane.. He inspects and picks apart plumbing work not even listed on the scope of work on the permit ..For instance he was aruging with me about another sub contractors hydronic piping layout. I constantly had had to keep reminding him he was there to inspect my domestic rough in plumbing not hydronics...
                          Last edited by plumbworker; 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                            He's either has fully lost his mind or hes efffing with you.. He failed one of our jobs on a finish inspection recently. The ice maker supply isolation valve located in a dead space in a upper kitchen cabinet was "too high for the homeowner to reach without a ladder" he said.
                            Long story short i went down to the building dept talked to the chief inspector told him "shea was out out on our job failed our inspection beacuse the isolation valve was 7' off the floor in a cabinet he said thats not considered acessible" lol panelli rolled his eyes and signed the job card off no questions asked... At one point i thought he was a fair inspector but lately i've been thinking hes insane.. He inspects and picks apart plumbing work not even listed on the scope of work on the permit ..For instance he was aruging with me about another sub contractors hydronic piping layout. I constantly had had to keep reminding him he was there to inspect my domestic rough in plumbing not hydronics...
                            I trade at cal steam. Often at the counter, I ask a plumber if He has a dan Shea story. they
                            never let Me down! Forgot His name but the head inspector is a great Guy, Fair ,no games.

Comment

Working...
                            X