X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Stove Problem. HELP!!! Please.

We have a closed-faced gas fireplace/stove which is the sole heating unit in the family room of our home, which had been working ok until we fired it up, this season. First, I noticed that the pilot light wasn't burning (I kept it lit throughout the summer, to keep spiders from building webs upon it, and rendering it unable to re-light). I went through the process of re-lighting the pilot, and it did catch. I could start the stove, and it would burn until the thermostat shut it down. The problem is that the pilot would extinguish with the burner.

I can't afford to get a technician out at this time, and was wondering if someone could give me some ideas as to what might be wrong. I cannot locate the user guide for our stove, but it is of the 'Quadra-Fire' line.

Another thing that I noticed is that the burners doesn't bear the same height of flame that they used to. But does the fact that they DO burn mean that the problem might be a thermal coupler? and not something related to the burners themselves?
    Attached Files
    ~Blessings~

Nathan

Re: Gas Stove Problem. HELP!!! Please.

Sounds like either a gas supply problem ( low pressure or indequate volume) or a combustion air problem . Is it in a very tight room?

Comment

it looks like a Hudson bay stove, (model), by pictures,

Install manual http://www.quadrafire.com/~/media/Fi...hudsonbay.ashx

I would probably take the orifice out and see if there is any thing in it, and check the burner for any cob webs and spider egg sacks, (would probably do the burner first),

http://www.quadrafire.com/Resources/...20Manuals.aspx

http://www.quadrafire.com/

rember gas if leaking can cause major problems, check for leaks.
      Last edited by BHD; 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Get a pro in as it is not worth putting your family at rish trying to service it yourself.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
          Sounds like either a gas supply problem ( low pressure or indequate volume) or a combustion air problem . Is it in a very tight room?
          Negative.

All I can say is that it was working fine, up until this season.
          ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            Get a pro in as it is not worth putting your family at rish trying to service it yourself.

Tony
            You are right. I don't mind getting down with my hands, in attempts to try and correct some problems. But this situation could spell out a great deal of danger if I did something wrong. I will indeed be calling a tech out to service this stove, as soon as I can afford the charges.

Someone else, here, had mentioned that the photo looked like a Hudson Bay stove - and they were right: It is a Hudson Bay, Quadra-Fire unit.
            ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

That unit may have a thermocouple for the pilot and a thermopile for the burner. Usually pilot outage can be caused by wind or a dirty pilot that isin't getting hot enough or big enough. A blocked vent could also cause problems. There may be a vent switch safety in series with the thermocouple, and that safety switch may be causing the pilot outage. If you can light the pilot and get it to hold, it's unlikely the thermocouple is bad.

Also there may be a control knob, on the gas valve, similiar to the one that sais ON, OFF, PILOT. It controls the gas pressure, you may have turned it down accidently, which could be why the burner flame is smaller.

I would get a pilot brush and clean the pilot, hit the hood with a wrench to help loosen up any debris. Are you on natural gas or propane? Does the pilot look normal to the years past, or has it gotten lazy and yellow?
              http://www.hvactechgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tech X View Post
                That unit may have a thermocouple for the pilot and a thermopile for the burner. Usually pilot outage can be caused by wind or a dirty pilot that isin't getting hot enough or big enough. A blocked vent could also cause problems. There may be a vent switch safety in series with the thermocouple, and that safety switch may be causing the pilot outage. If you can light the pilot and get it to hold, it's unlikely the thermocouple is bad.

Also there may be a control knob, on the gas valve, similiar to the one that sais ON, OFF, PILOT. It controls the gas pressure, you may have turned it down accidently, which could be why the burner flame is smaller.

I would get a pilot brush and clean the pilot, hit the hood with a wrench to help loosen up any debris. Are you on natural gas or propane? Does the pilot look normal to the years past, or has it gotten lazy and yellow?
                Hi.

I have been very busy, which is why it took so long to give answer to your reply. I was able to find & download a PDF user guide for our fireplace, and learned that this unit has both a Thermopile, and a Thermocouple (see attached image). However, I couldn't see clearly as to how to go about removing either.

I honestly can't afford a service call at this time, so will have to research what 'I' can do to correct the matter - especially seeing as how this fireplace is the sole means of heat int he family room (our forced air system seems to lose its heating umph before it reaches that area).

You are right about a control knob being there, and I had made certain that it was set in the proper position.

The health of the pilot's flame? Well, at this point I really cannot say. Outside of the fact that it wasn't as large as I had remembered it being, I don't recall its color.

I could not find a can of compressed air with the tube for concentrating the airflow. But I have a large air compressor in my basement shop, with an air needle that I can marry to the hose. I just don't know if that might be too much air blowing at the device.

Compressed air was mentioned to me by a worker at LOWE's, when it was determined that they had no such thing as a pilot brush.

I also noticed that the Themocouple's top needle-like part seemed to have a light brown coating on it, and wondered if maybe a little cleaning with some fine sandpaper might serve to help matters.

Thanks much, for trying to help.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NLAlston; 12-16-2010, 11:40 AM.
                ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Tech X View Post

I am STILL dealing with the issue facing us, regarding our gas fireplace. Yes, it is a Hudson Bay Quadrafire 40,000 BTU unit, and getting someone to come out and service it has been a pain in the backside. I could have had someone out here, but their facility aren't really geared toward the quadrafire line and, as such, I learned that they couldn't get the parts. There is only one place in our area which not only services Quadrafire stoves, but that also can get the parts. Though they are swamped with business, I am told - by my description (pilot light staying on, and burner lighting for no more than a couple of minutes, then both extinguishing after hearing a click) - that the thermocouple and thermopile are probably bad. I purchased both (just yesterday) after learning that they had some in, and have no choice but to try and install them myself.

For some reason, our main furnace isn't adequate enough (maybe the run is too long) to heat the lower portion of our home. We have a furnace for downstairs, and a boiler for the upper (our home was a double, that we have been in the converting stages toward making it a single).

I do wish that I had some clearly description instructions for tackling the job at hand, but can find nothing of the sort. I will just have to do my best. Thanks.
                  ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

I would test the thermopile and the themocouple with a test meter. And then based on your description of the problem if those checked out I would replace the gas control valve.

Comment

I was having some trouble with my vent less infrared heater in the barn, would go out with out a real reason, a few weeks ago, and thought I need a new thermocouple, and lighting it seemed to be harder than in the past, it jsut needed to be cleaned good, Iused compressed air.
                      Last edited by BHD; 01-23-2011, 07:24 PM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by NLAlston View Post
                        We have a closed-faced gas fireplace/stove which is the sole heating unit in the family room of our home, which had been working ok until we fired it up, this season. First, I noticed that the pilot light wasn't burning (I kept it lit throughout the summer, to keep spiders from building webs upon it, and rendering it unable to re-light). I went through the process of re-lighting the pilot, and it did catch. I could start the stove, and it would burn until the thermostat shut it down. The problem is that the pilot would extinguish with the burner.

I can't afford to get a technician out at this time, and was wondering if someone could give me some ideas as to what might be wrong. I cannot locate the user guide for our stove, but it is of the 'Quadra-Fire' line.

Another thing that I noticed is that the burners doesn't bear the same height of flame that they used to. But does the fact that they DO burn mean that the problem might be a thermal coupler? and not something related to the burners themselves?
                        Have you checked to see if the gas shut off on the input gas line is all the way on? Has any other gas appliances been added since the last time this appliance was used and operated properly? It sounds to me, by your original post, (Another thing that I noticed is that the burners doesn't bear the same height of flame that they used to) your issue is you are not receiving enough gas or pressure. As far as the the thermocoupling going out, you could have a burner cracked. On gas furnaces with a cracked heat exchanger, when the flame goes out, the sudden change of presssure snuffs out the pilot light. Also, winds can blow the pilots out also if a gust comes down the flue/chimney.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish View Post
                          Have you checked to see if the gas shut off on the input gas line is all the way on? Has any other gas appliances been added since the last time this appliance was used and operated properly? It sounds to me, by your original post, (Another thing that I noticed is that the burners doesn't bear the same height of flame that they used to) your issue is you are not receiving enough gas or pressure. As far as the the thermocoupling going out, you could have a burner cracked. On gas furnaces with a cracked heat exchanger, when the flame goes out, the sudden change of presssure snuffs out the pilot light. Also, winds can blow the pilots out also if a gust comes down the flue/chimney.
                          Yes, the gas valve was indeed all the way on. And, no - there has been no other gas appliances added, since acquiring/using this unit.

As money was an issue, I did not have this fireplace professionally installed, but - rat6her - did it myself. However, a tech from the business where we bought it did come out, a few days later, to check it over for me. I was told that the installation was proper and, so, did not void anything with the company. The 2nd season of using it, we had to have it serviced because the FP would not light. It was determined that spiders had built webs around the pilot's orifices, and that a way to defeat that was to leave the pilot lit on a year-round basis. That was done, during out 3rd summer with it, but we discontinued that practice, last summer, because of gaining information that such efforts weren't really required.

I mention all that to kinda give a bit of history regarding our manner of usage, and summer handling of the matter.

It had also been suggested, by my brother-in-law (not a professional, but someone who knows a little bit about working with furnaces), that I should disconnect the the wall-thermostat from the stove, and see what happens. I do know that the thermostat would, sometimes, fail to light the stove, and that I had to turn it off - and manually start the fireplace. It isn't the thermostat itself, though, because it would - at times - do the very same thing with the thermostat that this one replaced.
                          ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Working...
                          X