Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

removing heat duct from furnace, covering hole with sheet metal...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing heat duct from furnace, covering hole with sheet metal...

I'm removing duct from the furnace, as it is no longer needed.
    It will leave a hole of about 10"x18" which I purchased some sheet metal to cover the hole and use sheet metal screws around the perimeter of the "patch".
    Can I also use some sort of "sealant" like silicone or other type to seal the patch, used inbetween the furnace and sheet metal patch?

Rick

Re: removing heat duct from furnace, covering hole with sheet metal...

youll find and HVAC sealant at the home centers. But I'd venture to say that you'll miss that big of a run unless you just cut it off a different side of the plenumn or increased EVERYTHING else.
    Why do you feel it's no longer needed?

Comment

I am remodeling the house, changed the interior walls/rooms and locations of heating vents.
      I am insulating the walls with spray-in foam which will be R-28, the ceiling is 4" solid foam with 8" fiberglass below, between joists, giving over R-45 rating, and all are air-tight because of the solid foam.
      I changed the location of heating vents, as less are needed in each room and those needed are in different positions so as to better use the floor layout.
      The house originally had No insulation at all in either the walls or ceiling, as it is about 70 years old.

Rick

Comment

A patch that large, I usually cross break and fuzz it, if the original duct is lined and use duct mastic tape around the perimeter after screwing it to the duct.

James

Comment

how many heating vents were on this branch

by taking it out you will increase the air flow out the other vents
          you may have to slow the fan speed down

do you have AC on this unit if so that also may be a problem with removing that duct
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
            A patch that large, I usually cross break and fuzz it, if the original duct is lined and use duct mastic tape around the perimeter after screwing it to the duct.

James
            Fuzz = insulation?

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post

James
              ^^^^ This

Comment

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
                Fuzz = insulation?

Yep! Insulation, liner, fuzz all the same beast.

My sheet metal fabricator is responsible for the fuzz reference.

He would ask me if I wanted the duct fuzzed or not.

Comment

Working...
                X