Replacing hot water boiler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing hot water boiler

I have a 1986 vintage hot water heating boiler that is starting to leak. It is a Slant Fin cast iron boiler of 132000 btu input size. It is a natural draft into a brick chimney that also is used by the water heater vent. The water is circulated through 1/2 inch steel soldered tubing to radiators of unknown manuf. The finned tubes have cast iron headers with 3 -- 1/2 inch parallel tubes. One of the radiators developed a small seep at the inlet header which went undetected for some time and cause the 1/2 inch steel tube to fail from the outside. Two questions:
    1. Should the boiler be replaced with essentially the same design and size including natural draft and electronic ignition? and
    2. If the header on the bad radiator can be repaired, how should the bad section of steel tubing be replaced? Because of the tight and hard to reach location of the bad tubing, I am thinking that maybe some 1/2 inch pex tubing might be the most expedient solution. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Replacing hot water boiler

If it were me I would consider replacing the whole boiler considering you alsomost got 30 years out of the darn thing. It boils (no pun intended) down to cost to repair only to find welding or replacing the section will only temporarily piecemeal fix befoe the next sections wears out. Perform your due diligence researching replacment boilers with emphasis on casting thickness. The last 10 years or so everyone (this includes weil-mclain, Peerless, Burnham has cut costs by casting thinner sections under the premise of increased efficiency. I've had the 3 boilers mentioned above in all my houses and Peerless id decent followed by Weil-mclain.

Good Luck however you decide.....

Comment

I guess my post wasn't as clear as it should have been. The boiler will be replaced and the question concerns materials of construction and condensing or non condensing. I am leery of Al or Cu in an all steel system and also of a forced draft where a common chimney is used, even with a liner for the boiler vent. Also, I think replacing the bad section of steel tubing with soft Cu may be a bad idea so was wondering if pex tubing could be used instead.

Comment

Buderus Logano BE series, non condensing but 91% efficient (get the tax rebate) amazingly efficient and quiet boiler.

Replace the convector also.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X