Small gas leak from gas regulator vent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small gas leak from gas regulator vent

Hi, I have a small gas leak from my gas regulator feeding my heaters. The gas goes from holes on a vent bolt. You can see a bubble on an attached picture. The leak is slow - one bubble per 5 seconds. My question - is it normal, if not, what is a potential problem. And finally, should I replace the regulator, or my be I need just fix something (tight the vent bolt, for example). If a replacement is required, I'll call a plumbing company, but before that I want to understand the problem to avoid unreasonable charges.
    Thank you.
    Attached Files

Re: Small gas leak from gas regulator vent

Originally posted by azemerov View Post
    Hi, I have a small gas leak from my gas regulator feeding my heaters. The gas goes from holes on a vent bolt. You can see a bubble on an attached picture. The leak is slow - one bubble per 5 seconds. My question - is it normal, if not, what is a potential problem. And finally, should I replace the regulator, or my be I need just fix something (tight the vent bolt, for example). If a replacement is required, I'll call a plumbing company, but before that I want to understand the problem to avoid unreasonable charges.
    Thank you.
    The gas regulator is not operating properly and may have an internal leak of the diaphram or foreign material has fouled the reg.. It could have been exposed to excessive pressure? Anyone do an air test?

The regulator should be installed in the upright horizontal position and from the pic it appears that they installed the shut-off valve on the wrong side of the regulator. The shut-off valve should be installed upstream before the inlet......yours appears to be on the outlet.

Have the regulator replace and the system checked.

Comment

correct, very good answer! A+, lol!

Comment

Generally, this hole is a vent to allow air into the chamber of the diaphragm, which can move up and down regularly. If the gas comes out of the inner membrane punctures in it and the regulator is dangerous and must be replaced.
        morgan halabu | andy elfmont

Comment

Post title caught my eye. Though I am not in the LP/Nat-gas biz, may I just say:

There is no such thing as a SMALL gas leak!

Comment

Working...
          X