much like JC, i'm thinking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• much like JC, i'm thinking

I already work with hot water heat, be it radiant "we're hillbilly here" or exterior wood burning furnaces. Would there be anything to gain from running a hot water coil off of a boiler into the furnace plenum and having that act as the primary heat source, maybe wire the gas valve in as emergency or second stage heat? or would it just add in an element of storage heat loss with no efficiency gain?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: much like JC, i'm thinking

I see somebody else has been pouring a little primer in the hookah pipe.

J.C.

Comment

eventually I'll ditch the water heater that's setup for my radiant heat, and i'd like to dump the water heater running my potable hot water and put in a Knight boiler and indirect tank. that thought got my gears turning on hot water coils.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
        eventually I'll ditch the water heater that's setup for my radiant heat, and i'd like to dump the water heater running my potable hot water and put in a Knight boiler and indirect tank. that thought got my gears turning on hot water coils.
        So are you currently operating radiant with your water heater? 2nd water heater? If so, what's good and bad about it?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

2nd water heater. power vent. Don't have it running because I haven't insulated the joist space yet, and I don't want to waste too much fuel. I more or less want it to handle the heating of my house for 80% of the heating season. the coldest times of the year the furnace will still run. at least until I install a boiler.

There's a reason I knew the answer to your questions the other day when you were asking about the supplemental heat radiant

Comment

I think your idea will work fine as forced air is "fast heat". Whether it is more efficient I have no idea. I like the idea of "quiet heat" that's just consistent.

I run into "Apollo" water heater/heat systems once in awhile here. Basically the same thing you are proposing. Side taps that go to a coil in the heat duct or air handler.

And I'm pretty sure that is the only heat source. I've asked those that have them and they all have said consistently that they are happy with performance and fuel bills.

J.C.

Comment

Here's a link that might give you ideas.

http://www.apollohydroheat.com/

J.C.

Comment

Working...
              X