X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• code question

getting a sewer smell in a building and think it might be that the stack is to close to the rooftop unit when the wind direction is blowing towards the rooftop unit?

Thoughts?
    Attached Files

Re: code question

I believe it is a minimum of 10' to a fresh air intake.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by gobby View Post
      getting a sewer smell in a building and think it might be that the stack is to close to the rooftop unit when the wind direction is blowing towards the rooftop unit?

Thoughts?
      I would say that vent should be at least 12" off the roof if not higher but I think it would be a streach for the sewer gas to be pulled back in that far but you never know I would try raising it myself and if your going to raise it about 2' to 3' wont hert
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        I believe it is a minimum of 10' to a fresh air intake.

Mark
        Yes but in chicago they let us get away with that if the vent is higher then the fresh air intake if I am not mistaken cause I have had to go raise them alot befor for that reason
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
          Yes but in chicago they let us get away with that if the vent is higher then the fresh air intake if I am not mistaken cause I have had to go raise them alot befor for that reason
          The separation is usually 10' horizontally or 3' vertically. I just am not sure if there is a fresh air intake on that side of the unit.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Yea been trying to finger out where the sewer smell is cumming from inside the building with no luck and tried everything.This has been going on for years with a number of plumbers trying to get on top of it with no luck as well.

Pulled up to the business today and as soon as I got out you could smell it.
            There wasn't any man hole covers around either?

Comment

It is possibe the ducts are not properly sealed where they go through the platform. Perhaps a smoke test while on high speed would be a way to test it.

Mark

Comment

Smoke test the sewer system and rule that out. I was thinking the same thing with the place I just smoke tested and it turned out they had two open pipes.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by gobby View Post

Thoughts?
                  In KY that would NOT pass code. Plumbing vents need to be a minimum 10 feet from any intake, on an HVAC fresh air hood in this example. One solution to this is to add on to the vent pipe with a coupling and add at least 5 feet to it. May not be pretty but inexspensive solution to your problem!

Comment

Working...
                  X