X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone could have died!!!

I do a lot of work for a local fire/flood restoration company. On a call where they were cleaning up some mould and flood damage, they asked me to look at the furnace as there had also been some water damage to it. These pics are what I found. It had been running like this in the basement for God knows how long. I cannot believe someone did not die or get very sick. Gotta wonder what the CO readings were like. I ended up condemning the furnace due to other problems with it.
    Sure explains where all the mould came from tho!!
    Attached Files

Re: Someone could have died!!!

That looks like that Plexvent or UltraVent crap that the CPSC recalled 13 years ago. If it is, they can still get in on the $400 rebate towards a new furnace.

I see that you are in BC so not sure what program it would fall under up there.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09099.html

Comment

WOW, I've never seen that product used in Toronto. So it's plastic vent pipe (4"?) attached to what looks like a mid-efficiency furnace ? (60%)...didn't they traditionally use the 4" metal B-vents for mid-efficiency furnaces since they ran much hotter than the 80-90% ? It can't be a regular furnace without a blower????

Comment

Something that obvious, you have to wonder why the home owner didn't notice it.
        Maybe they were heating their basement with the exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
          Something that obvious, you have to wonder why the home owner didn't notice it.
          Maybe they were heating their basement with the exhaust.

Maybe he was trying to off his wife
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
            I do a lot of work for a local fire/flood restoration company. On a call where they were cleaning up some mould and flood damage, they asked me to look at the furnace as there had also been some water damage to it. These pics are what I found. It had been running like this in the basement for God knows how long. I cannot believe someone did not die or get very sick. Gotta wonder what the CO readings were like. I ended up condemning the furnace due to other problems with it.
            Sure explains where all the mould came from tho!!
            I have been away for a bit but WOW thats a good catch great job and welcome to the forum I know a little late but better late then never
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Diggin' the condensate drain line attached to the funnel. Wonder if that came standard with that equipment or was that an upgrade?

Comment

Found a water heater the other day where the roofer siliconed the roof cap. Luckily the water heater started leaking shortly after the roof was put in. The mother had just complained about migraines and the Dr. gave her some pills. She even said it was weird how her daughter was also having migraines. It pays to listen to your customers....I went on the roof and that's when I found the vent cap.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                  Found a water heater the other day where the roofer siliconed the roof cap. Luckily the water heater started leaking shortly after the roof was put in. The mother had just complained about migraines and the Dr. gave her some pills. She even said it was weird how her daughter was also having migraines. It pays to listen to your customers....I went on the roof and that's when I found the vent cap.
                  Gettinit, amazing how lucky some people are. It always astounds us why some people do these things. Mind you, some of the tradesmen here should not have their licenses for some of the shoddy workmanship too.

Comment

I was going to ask what the flue was made of. It comes across in the pictures as similar to fibreglass.

We have a photo on a website here where the HO decided that Plumbers are all crooked and thieves. Went down to the Big Green Shed(BUNNINGS) and bought a new Bosch Continuous Flow, fairly big one too. Got all of the easy hookers as well. When you look at the photo there are several things that standout. You can see where the old flue ran up the wall to discharge outside by the heat marks on the wall. Then you see teh New Bosch EXTERNAL unit installed in the position of the old one with the flue facing into the room. Yo see the easy hookers connecting the hot cold and gas, all illegal mind you. Owner was quizzed on this and said nothing wrong with it. "Matter of fact my DAUGHTER loves drying here hair in front of this unit with the exhaust from the flue".

Our Regulators didnt want to know. We are now working on legalities of us disconnecting dodgey things like this without ending up in jail.

Comment

Working...
                    X