X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive AC question

Not sure if anyone here services auto ACs. I'm going to be servicing mine soon so I'm in the process of gathering up the things I need to do this.

I have a slow leak in the system which takes a year or two to leak out. I used refrigerant with a dye to figure out the point at which the leak is taking place. However, since I'm taking the system apart it makes sense to replace all the seals including the compressor shaft seal.

In my GM service manual it says that I should use mineral base 525 viscosity refrigerant oil to lubricate the seals. But I don't really see where to get this. Has anyone on here been able to source this oil and if not what would be a good alternative.

Re: Automotive AC question

SUNISO 5GS REFRIGERANT OIL
    http://www.sporlanonline.com/Suniso%...ral%20Oils.pdf

I would probably consider this advise, from the forum below, as unless one can find some shop with some, that will sell you a small quantity for your seals, the cost will be more than what it most likely worth for a one time rebuild,
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...ternative.html

there most likely other mineral based oils that are lighter viscosity that would be easer to obtain,

this site has a suggestions as well, and gives the reasoning as why not to use a PAG oil
    http://www.aircondition.com/tech/que...-on-O-rings%3F
    http://www.acsource.com/nylogsealantpnrt201bblue.aspx

the other place to possibly fine it is a commercial or home AC tech, as mineral oils were used on R12 and R22, and R502 systems, and usually not recommend on the newer refrigerants

check out EBAY, one listing below,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7853&viewitem=
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

For the miniscule amount required to lubricate o-rings I cant see where using a lower viscosity is going to hurt anything.

Me, personally. I would just dip a small amount of oil out of the compressor itself to lubricate them with. But I'm kind of a hack that way sometimes.

Andy

Comment

Yes, reading up on the internet I got the impression also that they say not to use the PAG oil since it absorbs moisture it may corrode the fittings. Not sure how likely this could happen and it seems some people have used PAG oil without any effects. I assume any mineral oil should work fine as long as none is allowed to enter the a/c system. I guess I could also lube it with the PAG oil and see what happens.

Comment

I wonder if using a nylog sealant would work?

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
            Yes, reading up on the internet I got the impression also that they say not to use the PAG oil since it absorbs moisture it may corrode the fittings. Not sure how likely this could happen and it seems some people have used PAG oil without any effects. I assume any mineral oil should work fine as long as none is allowed to enter the a/c system. I guess I could also lube it with the PAG oil and see what happens.
            GM uses POE oil with R134A, as do most auto makers. Mineral oil was used with R12. NAPA auto parts stores carry the different oils.

Comment

Okay thanks. In fact I purchased the seal kit and a new dryer for the repair from Napa but did not look for the oil as I had not read the instructions in the factory manual at that time.

Another thing is that I had recently misplaced the screw on caps so I also purchased a new cap set which also came with a set of Schrader valves. Since I have new ones is it worth replacing the valves also while I have the system taken apart?

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                Okay thanks. In fact I purchased the seal kit and a new dryer for the repair from Napa but did not look for the oil as I had not read the instructions in the factory manual at that time.

Another thing is that I had recently misplaced the screw on caps so I also purchased a new cap set which also came with a set of Schrader valves. Since I have new ones is it worth replacing the valves also while I have the system taken apart?

If you have them it wouldn't hurt to replace them. Napa used to sell small quantities of oil. Don't remember how much, something like 6-8 oz.

James

Comment

Okay got it done this weekend. I also decided to disassemble the compressor (Sanden) and replace the shaft seal as it was also showing evidence of leaking. Did not spot much dye leaking but there was oil under the compressor. When I emptied the compressor I found only about 1/2 the amount of oil it should have contained.

Another issue I found was that some of the oil had hardened at the pipe connectors near 90 degree bends to almost form a gel. I'm sure that decreased performance.

In any event I lubricated all the seal with PAG oil. Put the system back together, pulled vacuum with vacuum pump and then recharged. What a difference - much colder air than it has been in many years and also the compressor is now much quieter.

Comment

Working...
                  X