X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old hvac units

What do you guys do with your old condensers and A coils when you do a change out?

We, like most shops in our area, just reclaim the freon and sell them as scrap.
    One of my backhoe operators had his A coil replaced through a home warranty program today, and received the call from the sub doing the work that he would have to pay his deductible as well as an $50 environmental fee for disposal of his old A coil. He called me wanting to know what environmental hazard the coil presented. It sounds to me like the contractor is going to charge the customer for disposal, then toss the unit on the scrap heap, But i'm more inclined to ask people smarter than me before I jump to that conclusion.

Is there something to this, and should we be having our old units disposed of in a different manner?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Old hvac units

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
    What do you guys do with your old condensers and A coils when you do a change out?

We, like most shops in our area, just reclaim the freon and sell them as scrap.
    One of my backhoe operators had his A coil replaced through a home warranty program today, and received the call from the sub doing the work that he would have to pay his deductible as well as an $50 environmental fee for disposal of his old A coil. He called me wanting to know what environmental hazard the coil presented. It sounds to me like the contractor is going to charge the customer for disposal, then toss the unit on the scrap heap, But i'm more inclined to ask people smarter than me before I jump to that conclusion.

Is there something to this, and should we be having our old units disposed of in a different manner?
    my two buddies are hvac guys and do the same as you and they think the same thing that they are nickel and diming somebody...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

disposal fee? those things are recyclable, we used to save them for extra money!
      Spokane Heating - Spokane Air Conditioning

Comment

We sell them to the scrap yard. What a load of crap. Everyone trying to scam someone these days.
        sigpic

Comment

thanks guys, I was starting to think I had been doing something wrong, though I was pretty certain they were just scrap metal.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I stopped working for "American Home Shield" almost two years ago...... ( If the home warranty was AHS)
            -Disposal of equipment is a covered item so the contractor / sub is just looking to pad his bill with cash to keep his per call cost average down but still get the cash
            -Just refuse the added fee and see if the contractor will still do the job
            -If the contractor refuses to do the work less the disposal fee send them packing and call AHS for a "Cash Out" based on the the contractors estimate... If anybody needs any help working over AHS let me know

Comment

oh thats the best part bill, they didn't hit him for the fee until after the work was done. Didn't run into him at the office today, had us all hustling in different directions. but i'll ask him how it panned out.

Comment

Because HVAC guys hold a refrigerant card, they use it to their advantage.

Now if this guy was ripping out an R-410a unit, the EPA doesn't require any type of special license, as their is no chlorine in it. I don't even need my refrigerant card to buy the freon for it.

We have never added on any charges to get rid of old condensers. We have a junk man who's in his 80's, and we just give the stuff to him so he can make a few extra bucks to put in his pocket.
                Last edited by Flux; 05-18-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

No kidding? out here they want a separate 410A card in addition to the EPA license. Supposedly when the next freon comes out that replaces 410a it won't be so heavily regulated.

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  Now if this guy was ripping out an R-410a unit, the EPA doesn't require any type of special license, as their is no chlorine in it. I don't even need my refrigerant card to buy the freon for it.

Comment

No kidding? out here they want a separate 410A card in addition to the EPA license. Supposedly when the next freon comes out that replaces 410a it won't be so heavily regulated.
                    2 out of the 3 places where I buy refrigerant don't require an EPA license for buying R-410a. However you need an EPA card to handle R410a though which doesn't make sense.

Supply houses can have their own rules though as far as purchasing.

Comment

There are new units for hvac already. Recycling is a good idea but it will just keep you go to repair it again and again because it's old already. You might want to try new one. We have new units available and offer you some discounts.

residential heating
                      furnaces
                      residential air conditioning
                      furnaces

Comment

Thanks! we like irrelevant gibberish here.

Originally posted by cfbheating View Post
                        There are new units for hvac already. Recycling is a good idea but it will just keep you go to repair it again and again because it's old already. You might want to try new one. We have new units available and offer you some discounts.
                        Last edited by MoJourneyman; 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM. Reason: removed links

Comment

Thanks! we like irrelevant gibberish here.
                          Ha...you gave too much credit for being gibberish...
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

One of my competitors makes sculture out of them. That and other scrap metal. He is kinda a strange one.
                            Spokane Heating - Spokane Air Conditioning

Comment

You probably got charged to recycle the refrigerant, not the coil or condenser.
                              FYI, even 410a is bad for the environment, even though it does not deplete the ozone. In fact it has a higher global warming potential than r22.

Refrigeration certification should require that you log all refrigerant used or recovered, and you should require seperate certification to handle any refrigerant.

Once we recover the refrigerant we have to return it to be recycled, and that is not free.

If in fact your contractor claims the fee is to dispose of the coil, then tell him to leave it with you, as copper and plastic does not pose a risk to the environment. Usually only the condenser unit requires a special tag, informing the dump that the refrigerant has been removed.
                              http://www.hvactechgroup.com

Comment

Working...
                              X