X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC won't turn on

The ambient temp is 84, I set the Tstat at 75. I even set the fan to turn on, not automatic. The breaker is good, and still on. I check and turn to the heat, at 86, still nothing run. It was working just fine, in the winter. The unit doesn't turn on for a couple months because of the spring. Now it's hot, so I turn on the T Stat, and it doesn't work. What else should/can I check?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tea

Re: AC won't turn on

Is the furnace blower access panel installed correctly?

James

Comment

as James said, make sure the doors are on properly, there is a switch that gets engaged by the doors. if that isn't the problem there's usually a little 3amp twin blade fuse on the control board, check it. if that isn't it, it really is time to call someone with the right tools to check things over.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I agree this has to be related to the access panel door. 90% of the time that is the issue.
        Spokane Heating - Spokane Air Conditioning

Comment

James, Mo, Steve
          Thanks a lot for the advise. I open up the panel, and actually find the 3A fuse blew. So I replace it with the new 3A fuse. At first I have the T Stat set on AS, and Fan on. As soon as I turn on the disconnect, at the unit, it blew out the fuse again. Then I turn of the AC at the T Stat, and just set the fan run only. Replace new fuse, and the fan run again. Then I turn it to AC, and the fuse blew out again. . Any advise? At least I know that the motor is still good. Just don't understand why the 3A fuse keep blowing when I switch to AC mode at the T stat.
          Thanks,
          Tea

Comment

Sounds like a mouse chewed through the insulation on the control wiring from the furnace to the condensing unit causing a short circuit. This is what I find 9 out of 10 times when the control board fuse blows on a call for cooling.

James

Comment

James,
              This is in the artic. If that is the case, I have to trace out where the bad control wire is? How can I check that? I did a stupid thing by try the 5A FUSE. Its start running again, for a short period, then stop. But I check the 5A fuse, it doesn't blow. I might of mess up the small transformer?

Comment

You can check the wire with an ohmmeter. I find it easier to pull new contol wire. First check the compressor contactor coil winding for a short. This will cause the fuse to blow. The 5 amp fuse wasn't a good move. Check for voltage at the circuit board secondary voltage terminals. If 24volts isn't present you need to replace the transfromer.

James

Comment

Working...
                X