Dehumidifier Help Needed Please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehumidifier Help Needed Please?

My basement is unfinished. The basement is about 800sft. I get quite a bit of moisture in the basement. During heavy rains I would get about 10 gallon of water seeping into the basement. Hopefully, my newly installed French drain with sump pump will remedy that (no notable rain since the sump pump install).

My home is a 3 story 135 yr + row house in near Phila. I haven’t noticed any moisture issues in the living spaces (1st, 2nd or 3rd floors). My home is near the end of a total renovation. I’ve always notice some moisture in the basement. I see even more moisture since the renovation. I attribute that to the fact that there is no one in the home and no HVAC being used to circulate the air (just my guess?).

I’m looking for recommendations on a dehumidifier for the basement? It must be a unit that I can have empty directly into a drain as I don’t want to have to empty a tray on a regular basis. Most I see say whole house. The unit in the basement won’t be able to do the entire house do to the homes make up. The basement door is always closed. I don’t think I would need a dehumidifier in the living space. On the contrary I might need a humidifier.

Any suggestion on a good standalone unit that won’t break the bank?

Best Regards…..
    Regards,
    K. Nezz

Re: Dehumidifier Help Needed Please?

Consumer Reports magazine occasionally tests and reviews portable dehumidifiers. Check the index in the current issue to see when the last review was written. You might have to go to a library to find copies, although the publication also has an on-line database. I have a Sears 45-pint unit in my house (we are in Florida, where in the spring and fall it can be humid outdoors, but not hot or cold enough to warrant running either the AC or the heater) and it works fine. They also have a 65-pint version. I believe that CR gave those units good reviews, although neither has an automatic restart feature if the power goes off temporarily. You have to manually push the start button to get it going again.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Howard, I think we have the same or a similar unit from Sears. It has been with us
      for a couple years now and works great. It has a removable tank that you can remove
      and manually dump the water, or you can hook up a hose to run it into a drain which
      is what we have done. It's in our basement and I have it set to run on/off on a 3 hour
      interval with the humidity set at 40% and fan on low. Ours will automatically restart if
      the power goes out though which is great.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thank you all for the response.

Originally posted by Howard Ferstler View Post
        Consumer Reports magazine occasionally tests and reviews portable dehumidifiers. Check the index in the current issue to see when the last review was written. You might have to go to a library to find copies, although the publication also has an on-line database. I have a Sears 45-pint unit in my house (we are in Florida, where in the spring and fall it can be humid outdoors, but not hot or cold enough to warrant running either the AC or the heater) and it works fine. They also have a 65-pint version. I believe that CR gave those units good reviews, although neither has an automatic restart feature if the power goes off temporarily. You have to manually push the start button to get it going again.

Howard Ferstler

How often does the unit run each day when humidity is at its highest? From what was told to me Florida is much more humid that we have in the East. BUT -- may basement is extremely humid. Humid enough to see water drops on the basement floor at times. I’ve read that some units continually run which I would think would burn the unit out in less than a year and be a electric hog. The automatic restart would be nice but I don’t think for me it would be a deal breaker.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        Howard, I think we have the same or a similar unit from Sears. It has been with us
        for a couple years now and works great. It has a removable tank that you can remove
        and manually dump the water, or you can hook up a hose to run it into a drain which
        is what we have done. It's in our basement and I have it set to run on/off on a 3 hour
        interval with the humidity set at 40% and fan on low. Ours will automatically restart if
        the power goes out though which is great.

Seeing that you are in New Jersey your humidity is close to mine. With your settings of 3 hour intervals setting at 40% - does it ever not run because the level is below your setting? My use will be basement also.
        Last edited by Knezz; 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM. Reason: correction
        Regards,
        K. Nezz

Comment

Working...
        X