Frozen Line set

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Line set

Ive been having a issue with 1 unit in the building. The units line set keeps freezing up. I always was under the impression the only reason a line set ever froze was due to lack of air flow over the coil. Am i missing something here? Also forgot to mention its a TXV valve.
    Last edited by mtburdick; 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM.

Re: Frozen Line set

just the line set and not either coil?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Yeah sorry coil and the compressor are both freezing up along with the suction line. Ive already cleaned the coil with a foaming coil cleaner and hosed it down pretty well.

Comment

Make sure the evap coil and furnace or air handler blower wheel is clean. Then check the refrigerant charge.

James

Comment

Sadly both done and its freezing up. The sub cool is dead on. and the evap coil i just cleaned. and still having it freeze up. i also knocked a whole in the door to make sure there was enough air coming into the closet.

Comment

still sounds like an airflow problem. had a similar one where the kids were lounging on the flex duct in the attic for the return. had it nice and flat.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by mtburdick View Post
              Sadly both done and its freezing up. The sub cool is dead on. and the evap coil i just cleaned. and still having it freeze up. i also knocked a whole in the door to make sure there was enough air coming into the closet.
              I'm a lttle confused about knocking a hole in the closet door. Also make sure your supply air isn't blocked. I've had instances where a piece of duct liner came loose and fell onto the evap coil. If everything checks out good with the airflow. Try a new TXV.

James

Comment

Sorry should have also mentioned that there is no return. the air handler sits in a closet. there is already a vent in the door but i dont belive its big enough for the air flow. thinking this may be the problem

Comment

Sorry should have also mentioned that there is no return. the air handler sits in a closet. there is already a vent in the door but i dont belive its big enough for the air flow. thinking this may be the problem
                  Rule of thumb for sizing a return air grille is 1sq. ft. per ton of cooling.

James

Comment

just take the door off for a day or two and see if that solves the problem?

Comment

well its a 3 ton unit. with 4 sq foot opening. and the door cant come off due to security reasons. work in a hospital

Comment

well its a 3 ton unit. with 4 sq foot opening. and the door cant come off due to security reasons. work in a hospital
                        You might want to throw a part at it, being a hospital. I worked at a university for 24 years and didn't have the luxury of spending a week repairing a broken ac. Spent many a 100+ degree days on rooftops working on units.

Comment

ran into a similar issue today in a large commercial building. One of the fire dampers had malfunctioned and closed cutting the air discharge in half

Comment

Well for temp. I put on a control to only run the fan when the pressures are high to take off the majority of the heat. I guess im just going to have to figure it out. Sadly there is no return duct at all. The unit is 3 1/2 tons. The opening to the door is 4 cubic feet. And the evap coil is clean!!! I acid washed it 3 times. The sub cool is dead on. The great part about this is that its only for a gift shop. So i can play with it at my leisure. Thanks to everyone for trying to help me with this!!!

Comment

THERES your problem. If that doesnt solve it, check to see if head pressure is excessivly high. Could have a blockage or crimped line somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X