X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacktown Arkansas

Here's a hack job I returned to from my vacation. Done by a licensed professional.

A 2ton 410A unit using the existing 5/8" -1/4" line set from the 40 year old R22 system. No cabinet for a filter, who needs them anyway? This is quality workmanship

I'll most likely spend two days straightening out this cluster copulation.

Not happy in Hacktown.

James
    Attached Files

Re: Hacktown Arkansas

Nice..glad to see it's not just plumbers hacking things up out there

Pic 5 looks like there's been a house fire ..nice
    Last edited by OLD1; 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Wow that's bad.

Where's the condensate trap at?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
        Wow that's bad.

Where's the condensate trap at?
        At the parts house on the shelf.

The dip shiite is supposed to come back and redo it.

Comment

The vents wrong also.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            The vents wrong also.
            It's legal here to use single wall as a vent connector within 6" of the ceiling or any combustible. Just a crappy job of installing the vent Like the rest of it.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
              It's legal here to use single wall as a vent connector within 6" of the ceiling or any combustible. Just a crappy job of installing the vent Like the rest of it.
              Its still wrong. The vent is not installed proper.

Sorry thats what i get for looking at pics.......it appeared to me at first that the double wall was inserted into the single wall. But its not.
              Last edited by TheMaster; 07-07-2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

i love seeing duct tape on insulation
                the braze joint looks like he stuck the smaller pipe into the other and did use a coupling
                what were you called there for
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  Its still wrong. The vent is not installed proper.

Sorry thats what i get for looking at pics.......it appeared to me at first that the double wall was inserted into the single wall. But its not.
                  There's no doulble wall vent in the pics it's about a foot from the furnace. There's 4 furnaces and two water heaters that tie into an 8" B-1 vent.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                    There's no doulble wall vent in the pics it's about a foot from the furnace. There's 4 furnaces and two water heaters that tie into an 8" B-1 vent.
                    It looked like the old pipe was double wall. I personally only use double wall but if it meets code its good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      i love seeing duct tape on insulation
                      the braze joint looks like he stuck the smaller pipe into the other and did use a coupling
                      what were you called there for
                      I was on vacation and they called this moron to do an emergency change out. This is an apartment complex that I oversee the maintenance. He squeezed and pinched the stubs to fit the smaller diameter tube. That is one of my pet peeves, the old squeeze and pinch. Just a total crap job. What a waste of equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                        You guys dont ever swage out socket instead of using couplings? yeah some plumbers used the ole solder job on ice maker lines around here. They would inset 1/4 into 3/8 and solder it up. I frown on it.
                        I have an Imperial swaging set, kind of a pain in the rear. I use it as a last resort. I mostly use couplings. Since I've been installing new line sets on change outs I did invest in a new Yellow Jacket ratchet bender. Should pay for itself in money not spent on LR ells.

Comment

for the little bit of hvac work I do, I Love my swage tool. The ratchet bender is on my list of things to get .

Unfortunately, i've done deed with the 1/4" into the 3/8" for an ice maker line when I was in a hurry. though I did sil fos it rather than soft solder, so i'm confident in the connection, just embarrassed by the appearance.

but 1/4" for hvac? screw that, 3/8" isn't that much more expensive, and especially with changing to the 400 series freon, change that sucker out!
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                            for the little bit of hvac work I do, I Love my swage tool. The ratchet bender is on my list of things to get .

Unfortunately, i've done deed with the 1/4" into the 3/8" for an ice maker line when I was in a hurry. though I did sil fos it rather than soft solder, so i'm confident in the connection, just embarrassed by the appearance.

but 1/4" for hvac? screw that, 3/8" isn't that much more expensive, and especially with changing to the 400 series freon, change that sucker out!
                            What swage tool do you have? My Imperial looks like the flare tool with swage dies. I've never made a decent looking swage with it.

I'm not touching the unit. The installer is going to be stuck with it for 1 year. He's been back twice since Tuesday. The tennant told me today it runs constantly and barely cools.

Comment

I have the stepped punch style, it just gets driven in with a hammer. as simple as it gets.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X