• Show
Clear All

Re: Capacitors

Just retuned from a call where I needed a 40/3 440v. Return trip tomorrow

Had the 40 but no 3.

James

Comment

been quiet so far today. had 6 calls yesterday, none yet today. ... I think my butt has fused to my chair.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Ah, of course, why wouldn't the phone wait for 3pm to start ringing.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Light day for a Sunday. 1 bad cap, 1 low charge, frozen coil, 1 dirty condenser coil, and 1 estimate for a new system.

Comment

so what exactly is the proper method for troubleshooting a dead START capacitor?

Is the procedure different for troubleshooting a RUN capacitor?

I'm unclear of their role in the electric motor world

Comment

I just test the poles on it with my multimeter, I've got a microfarad setting on it.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                so what exactly is the proper method for troubleshooting a dead START capacitor?

Is the procedure different for troubleshooting a RUN capacitor?

I'm unclear of their role in the electric motor world
                The procedure for testing any kind of capacitor is exactly the same regardless of application. The best way would be to measure the capacitance with a meter capable of measuring capacitance.

If you don't have a meter capable of reading capacitance you can use a multilmeter and set it to the resistance setting. When you hook up the cap if it is healthy it would initially show a short circuit (low ohms) and then slowly rise as the cap charges to a high ohms/infinity. This method will show if a cap has failed as an open or short but will not show if it has degraded - for that you will need a meter that can measure capacitance.

Comment

I need to buy stock in a Chinese capacitor company. When I thought it couldn't get worse I bought one from a Rheem parts dealer that was made in Pakistan.

Comment

When I was a kid, I carried a couple with me for replacing on three wire pump motor control boxes. I think I still have them! But the ones you buy today are like y'all said. Crap!

Capacitor tester, or digital multimeter with capacitance scale built in. I used to use an analog multimeter. Like Blue_can said. Test lead on each terminal, if the cap is good, the meter will jump to the right of the scale then drift back slowly. Reverse the leads and try again. The X1K scale works best. If the cap is bad (shorted), the needle might either go to the right and stay there or it won't move at all if it's open.
                    Last edited by speedbump; 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                      Just retuned from a call where I needed a 40/3 440v. Return trip tomorrow

Had the 40 but no 3.

James
                      Its ok to use a 5mfd on the 3mfd motor that's not enough diff to mess up the motor.... I've done it many times...

As far as the cause of a "blowed up" cap it is dirty power and or power surge... ever notice that you get several of these calls after a thunder storm?

Also when you check the cap and it is say reading a little lower than the rated mfd it is ok if it is within the + - % (tolerance) rating of the cap (example: 50mfd @ + - 6% reads 48mfd its good because 6% of 50 is 3, get it?) better caps have a lower % rating.

Also there are some really cheap made ones out there today that have water in them instead of oil. get the oil, "Mars" are good.

Also you can use 440v on a 370v motor but not a 370v on a 440v motor (or compressor)

Also use the "Turbo 200+" as a tool rather than a replacement i.e. if you don't have the right one on the truck put it on to get them running and next time you pass that job replace it with the regular size.
                      Last edited by jaminjimlp; 10-31-2011, 04:42 AM.
                      ROMANS 10:9 confess with your mouth that JESUS is LORD and believe in your heart that GOD raised him from the dead and you will be Saved.

Comment

Working...
                      X