X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitors

What makes those little guys go bad. Mine went out on my 2 year old condensing unit a few minutes ago. Replaced a few lately that had flat exploded. I make the assumption that it is just the heat, but I figure there has to be more to it.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Capacitors

Made in China is the main reason. 20 years ago I replaced very few capacitors, nowadays it's a common occurance.

James

Comment

I have had a little better luck with 440V Caps if you can get them... Most supply houses stock the 370 Volt ones and they are "Crap Crap Crapity Crap"

As to what makes the recent ones bad, I would say a lack of metal in the windings, low castor oil (shake a new one to hear the low oil level). The inability to deal with heat in a nutshell...
      Last edited by OkieBill; 07-24-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        I have had a little better luck with 440V Caps if you can get them... Most supply houses stock the 370 Volt ones and they are "Crap Crap Crapity Crap"

As to what makes the recent ones bad, I would say a lack of metal in the windings, low castor oil (shake a new one to hear the low oil level). The inability to deal with heat in a nutshell...
        Bill,

440's is all I keep on my truck. I don't see stocking 370's when 440's will work.

How many GE caps have you seen with the tops bulged? I lost count years ago.

James

Comment

I had no idea I could use a 440 when I pull out a 370. I'll be switching myself as stock runs out now that I know that.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I've been replacing them hand over fist this year.... and I second the 440v...

Comment

Replaced a 35/5 440v today. This is one I replaced about 3 years ago. I don't believe it makes a difference between 370 & 440, they are all crap. What I would give for some NOS Aerovox or Mars caps.

James

Comment

A capacitor is basically two plates separated by a non conducting dielectic. In normal operation if you apply a static voltage one plate charges + and the other -. When you apply an ac waveform it behaves like a frequency dependent resistor. Without going into a deep analysis of caps it can fail as an open circuit or short circuit. Either way things like heat and age play a part. If they are failing sooner than expected poor manufacturing could be to blame.

When I design circuits using caps the capacitor datasheet will typically have failure data which in my case can help decide how to select a cap for an application. Other things to consider are things like operating temp. A cap going into the electronics for a fighter jet will have a mil spec unlike a cap for commercial applications.

If you can identify the manufacturer marking on the cap you can try pulling up the datasheet online to see if it has info on failure rates. I highly doubt the HVAC manufacturers would be making the caps - they would be soured from a third party manufacturer typically.

Comment

370 caps are very good for business
                  sigpic

Comment

turbo. Works very well but they cost 40 at the supply house
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                      There is a new capacitor out that is suppose to fit everything. I saw a flyer in the supply house for it. It boasts that its the only cap you need on the truck. Can rememba the name.
                      Turbo (thats it) Makes one but the problem with them is they cost 2-3 times what a standard cap runs. I normally keep one on the truck in case I miss restocking a standard size. Come to think of it I can only remember changing out one of the multi-tap caps in the past couple of years, that may be an idea for the folks who are willing to pay for it...

Comment

I keep a couple of the turbo 200's on the truck for the same reason as okiebill. They've got a 5 year warranty on them. when mine explodes again in 2 years i'll put one of those in.

Comment

I had seen a brochure for them at the HVAC supply house, I thought they were a great idea, but were unsure if they were a gimmick or the real deal. I don't do any HVAC work but occasionally a friend has a condenser go out...
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I'm sticking to using the correct replacement parts. Never been a fan of the one size fits all solutions.

Comment

James, I'd usually agree with you on that sentiment, my usual reason for using those turbo's as well as the tripsaver motors is having run out of the correct part during the day, and being on an after hours call. a normal work day for me ends after 8pm, I do a Lot of after hours work, I'd rather get a customer up and running in one trip and make them happy, even if the parts do cost more, it's usually cheaper than making a second trip.

Also, the turbo capacitors have a 5 year warranty, the made in china models don't seem to have any warranty information included with them. I have to assume that's a tail light warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X