X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Central Air

I just had a central air conditioner installed and have a few questions.

1. I use "hepa-type" furnace filters and the contractor told me to use the cheaper ones in the summer because they allow more air flow. He said that the high efficiency filters cause the cooling coils to ice up. Is he blowing smoke up my a$$?

2. My programmable thermostat occasionally jumps up to 84F. It has done this twice and once jumped to 79F. It this symptomatic of a bigger problem or should I clear the memory and reprogram the thermostat from scratch?

If it helps, it is a 2 ton Luxaire and my house is about 1200 sq ft.

Re: New Central Air

the high efficiency filters do decrease air flow across the interior coil. I'm not sure if it would cause it to ice up, but it will definitely slow the air flow.

The t-stat just needs to be reprogrammed.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

1. HEPA filters do decrease airflow around 20% but with a properly charged unit, the filter will NOT make it freeze up unless the return air volume is too small even without a filter.

2. The program in the stat needs to be re-programmed and make SURE it is saved b4 exiting the setup. A faulty stat could be the issue too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw123 View Post
        I just had a central air conditioner installed and have a few questions.

1. I use "hepa-type" furnace filters and the contractor told me to use the cheaper ones in the summer because they allow more air flow. He said that the high efficiency filters cause the cooling coils to ice up. Is he blowing smoke up my a$$?

2. My programmable thermostat occasionally jumps up to 84F. It has done this twice and once jumped to 79F. It this symptomatic of a bigger problem or should I clear the memory and reprogram the thermostat from scratch?

If it helps, it is a 2 ton Luxaire and my house is about 1200 sq ft.
        Here's some good information on filters.
        Residential Air Cleaners: A Summary of Available Information | Indoor Air | US EPA

As others stated, try reprogramming the thermostat.

James

Comment

I have seen a lot of older systems that could not handle the higher efficiency (3m) type filters and could only run with rock catchers though these systems had the typical age associated problems...

If ya don't hit the great link James posted : A HEPA filter is well outside of the static pressure drop ranges of any residential HVAC system that I know of , Even High MERV filters (13+) can have drops of 1.5" WC across them which would require a system to have a high static fan installed...

Don't make the mistake of describing a typical high efficiency filter that can be purchased at wal-mart for a filter rated to a HEPA standard

AND yes, reprogram the thermostat...

Comment

I use those 3m allergen filters. They come in a purple wrapper. Those bad? I haven't had any problems that I know of. I have a rheem heat pump thats 12 yrs old.

Comment

The heatpump in my house in NC pre replacement died twice because I had the really dense allergen filters installed. kept burning out blowers.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Thanks for the input - I'll stick to the regular filters.

I changed the batteries in my thermostat and reset it. I did not program any setting into it and just set it manually but it changed by itself again a few hours ago, from 72F to 77F. I will buy another one if I have to but I'd like to solve this problem in case it still does it with a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  The heatpump in my house in NC pre replacement died twice because I had the really dense allergen filters installed. kept burning out blowers.
                  I replace mine once a month,the filters say they are good for 3 months. In other words I dont let mine get dirty before I replace it really.

Comment

most of those tstats have a "hold" button, when you manually set it, hit hold and it can't reset from the factory setting

Comment

I use the 3m filters on my house as well, they work great

I typically need to change it monthly, That being said the location of your return can play a factor as well, my return is located in a hall at ground level and tends to act like a shop vac sucking up everything. A return located in the ceiling may get a little more mileage.

The higher efficiency filters are a trade off, they clog faster causing the blower to work that much harder (using more electricity) but keep the A-coil cleaner longer thus slowing some the efficiency loss that all systems suffer over time.

Comment

Working...
                      X