Frostbite in August

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frostbite in August

Went to hook up my high side hose yesterday, and got the usually little puff of freon as I tightened down, no worries... wait, why is it coming out faster, oh crap tighten faster... WTH it's tight and still spraying!

Abort Abort! Unscrew the thing, at this point, my thin mechanix style glove is frozen to my hand. Hold it over the condenser fan while I look at my manifold to see what the issue is, the 1/4 gasket had fallen out. That was a first for me. My left hand feels like hell, Hoping it heals quickly.

So anyway... how often am I supposed to be changing these gaskets? Apparently I should be checking that they having popped out every use.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Frostbite in August

Get you some Yellow Jacket Sealright fittings. I've been using them for years, saves a lot of wear and tear on the fingers.

I usually change gaskets, and the Oring in the sealrights once a year.

Comment

do they just screw onto the ends of my existing hoses, or will I need new hoses?

Nevermind, found them, calling johnstone in the morning.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
        do they just screw onto the ends of my existing hoses, or will I need new hoses?
        I use the ones that screw on the hose ends.. On some Rheem AC's and heatpumps the Sealrights will not work. Plus the Sealright hoses are expensive.

Comment

yellow jacket lists them as not being compatible with 410 systems. Not such a big deal since my 410 gauges don't really hiss much when I connect them.

Comment

yellow jacket lists them as not being compatible with 410 systems. Not such a big deal since my 410 gauges don't really hiss much when I connect them.
            I use them on my 410A manifold. No problems so far. I would like to know their (Ritchie Engineering) reasoning for not using them with 410A.

Comment

Supply house didn't have the adapters, but they did have the seal rite hoses. so I picked up those. Thanks again, they make a world of difference.

Comment

Supply house didn't have the adapters, but they did have the seal rite hoses. so I picked up those. Thanks again, they make a world of difference.
                Save your old hoses for when you work on a Rheem or Ruud with the access valves that run parallel with the refrigerant lines.

Comment

Will do. I was going to save them for my differential pressure gauges, but your idea is better.

Originally posted by James P View Post
                  Save your old hoses for when you work on a Rheem or Ruud with the access valves that run parallel with the refrigerant lines.

Comment

Working...
                  X