X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Gas Wall Heater

I have an upstairs apartment that is only 550sf and I'd like to heat it with a wall gas heater.

An online calculator states that in Maryland, I'd need 18000 BTU for 550sf. I'd like to install something bigger, because the outside walls are not insulated and though the windows are double pane they have aged.

How much bigger should I go and will this option provide the heat I need?

I am trying to get away from electric baseboard heat.

Re: Natural Gas Wall Heater

A 40K btu input furnace should work fine.

Comment

Williams has a calculator in their literature and the basic recommendation is around 25 BTU per sq. ft. @ 30º winter temp. and a well insulated space. By the time you factor in no insulation, and a winter temp of more like 10º then you are closer to 75 BTU per square foot, which makes a 45 to 50 K btu unit appropriate.

Any amount of heat obviously will help. Is it possible that this room already get some heat throught the ceiling from the room below? Is the ceiling of the apartment insulated?
      Realize that the smaller Monterrey wall heaters only heat the room they are in, you have to rely on some heat just migrating back to the bedroom. SO I would consider 2 upgrades:
      > the larger ( approx 50 k btu ) units are double sided. They send heat out through both sides of the wall they are installed in. To the living room and bedroom, eg.
      > install the optional blower unit, which will get you better heat distribution

Comment

I hope your considering a vented heater,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Direct vent wall heater. Works great
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Not enough information to give a fair sized unit. Need to know outside wall structure, ceiling measurements from floor, vaulted?, lowest temperature for the area, anticipated maintained temperature inside, is the unit an interior unit or exposed on 3 walls? If you can answer those questions then the size can be narrowed. Otherwise throw in a unit 4 times to big and let it short cycle. That short cycle will cause exhaust condensation and vent rot in time. After the vent rusts out from condensation and leaks exhaust fumes into the living space, nobody will be complaining about being cold or the constant cycle of the furnace.

Comment

Working...
            X