X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central heat control valve

My natural gas central heat unit control valve has developed a leak. I have never seen 2 wires coming-out of the thermocoupler port along with the thermocoupler. It doesn't seem safe to me, even if it wasn't leaking. It is a 24volt control but will any 24 volt control work in its place? I would hate to order the wrong part. I appreciate any input y'all could provide.

Re: Central heat control valve

Do you know the brand and model#?

Comment

The unit is a Rheem RGBC-100C. There aren't any numbers left on the control valve itself.

Comment

The 2 wires coming out of the thermocoupler hole are for a safety sensor of one type or another. It is completely safe as there is no gas going to a thermocoupler port. That port is an electrical circuit.

This is like a 30 year old unit...why fix it?
        Last edited by Jones Mechanicals; 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM.

Comment

My sniffer went off when close to this fitting. When I soap tested that's where it bubbled was around the thermocouple. I thought it was odd, but that's where it is leaking.

Comment

I dont think we know exactly what your looking at, a pic would be helpful

Comment

Originally posted by JW3 View Post
              My sniffer went off when close to this fitting. When I soap tested that's where it bubbled was around the thermocouple. I thought it was odd, but that's where it is leaking.
              A normal combination gas valve should be fine, unless the valve needs to be step or slow open. I can't find any information on it. You need to see how the old one fires.

I would be more concerned if the heat echanger is leaking and should this unit run again?

Comment

Working...
              X