X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Water cut-off

The other day my buddy needed my help installing a boiler (from Oil to Gas)(He's a Master Plumber as well), and when it came time for the Low water cutoff, we debated where the low water cutoff (safgard) should be installed.

Now it technically doesn't matter where the cutoff is installed, as long as the Boiler is protected and it shuts down due to water loss. We like to install it on the return above the back feed...he likes to install it on the feed.

Where do you guys like installing them?

Re: Low Water cut-off

I put it above the highest point I want to protect. I like to see it as more than just a boiler saver but also a pump saver. It of course always goes in the mechanical room but I put it as high as needed while still being completely accessible. Then it gets wired in so that any loss of water will shutdown the entire system before anything has to run dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
      I put it above the highest point I want to protect. I like to see it as more than just a boiler saver but also a pump saver. It of course always goes in the mechanical room but I put it as high as needed while still being completely accessible. Then it gets wired in so that any loss of water will shutdown the entire system before anything has to run dry.
      We wire it as well to shut down the entire system.

I take it your a circulator fan versus zone valve huh? hehe

Comment

I love my zone valves! I think zone pumps are a waste of money and space on my truck. However, 3-4 pumps is about the minimum you can have on a mod/con with a side arm. Grundfos 26-99 at $250 a pop or so is worth protecting just as much as that $5000 boiler. The Safegard also has a remote sensor box so you can mount the main control on the wall and put the probe anywhere you like that a 2x4 box will fit.

Comment

I love my zone valves! I think zone pumps are a waste of money and space on my truck. However, 3-4 pumps is about the minimum you can have on a mod/con with a side arm. Grundfos 26-99 at $250 a pop or so is worth protecting just as much as that $5000 boiler. The Safegard also has a remote sensor box so you can mount the main control on the wall and put the probe anywhere you like that a 2x4 box will fit.
          We are zone valve fans as well.

Not sure I ever use the Safgard model you're talking about. We mainly use the 1150 model. Which model are you talking about?

Speaking of side arms...my pop was telling me they use to use side arms back in the day for the domestic side. I've never seen one before, so I wouldn't even know what they look like.

Who's Boiler do you guys use?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            We are zone valve fans as well.

Not sure I ever use the Safgard model you're talking about. We mainly use the 1150 model. Which model are you talking about?

Speaking of side arms...my pop was telling me they use to use side arms back in the day for the domestic side. I've never seen one before, so I wouldn't even know what they look like.

Who's Boiler do you guys use?
            The Safgard 500 is a favorite and they make a remote box for the probe but I can't find a pic or website of one right now.

I deal mostly with Lochinvar, Triangle Tube, and Teledyne Laars on new installs, but we have all kinds of units out there from Utica to Munchkin to old steam units from the 1920's.

Comment

The Safgard 500 is a favorite and they make a remote box for the probe but I can't find a pic or website of one right now.

I deal mostly with Lochinvar, Triangle Tube, and Teledyne Laars on new installs, but we have all kinds of units out there from Utica to Munchkin to old steam units from the 1920's.
              We use triangle tube for indirect fired water heaters...we love them. We are a Columbia Boiler dealer, but Utica makes their Cast Iron boilers...Columbia slaps their stuff on it. IMO Columbia makes the best steel boilers on the market..not many at all make a summer/winter hook in steel to begin with. Like I told you the other day, we have so many choices in Pa, cause we are smack dab in the middle of boiler country being in the North East.

I was just checking out Munchkin....never heard of them before. They do look kind of neat though.

Comment

in this picture you can see the low water cut off it id the blue box

Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Charlie..what manufacture for the boilers?

You do excellent work!

Comment

Charlie..what manufacture for the boilers?

You do excellent work!
                    The boilers in his pic are teledyne laars

Comment

The boilers in his pic are teledyne laars
                      Even though Charlie lives 45 minutes from me...I've never seen those types of boilers around.

But, I also don't do any commercial either....very rare for me.

Comment

Even though Charlie lives 45 minutes from me...I've never seen those types of boilers around.

But, I also don't do any commercial either....very rare for me.
                        That version of the laars is more like their pool heaters than the boilers. 80% copper fin and those most likely have brass headers so domestic water could be fed to them.

Just to push my luck, based on the pic I would say they are 325k btu.
                        Last edited by Jones Mechanicals; 11-11-2011, 12:12 AM. Reason: guessing boiler size by pic

Comment

Jones, have you ever done a "waste oil" Boiler before?

My buddy has one to do...and he's bringing me in on it, cause I've never done one before.

Comment

Jones, have you ever done a "waste oil" Boiler before?

My buddy has one to do...and he's bringing me in on it, cause I've never done one before.
                            Funny you ask. I just finished one for my neighbor that owns an auto shop and I just got handed another one a few blocks from the first. I haven't messed with oil much. Totally different setup and controls from what I'm use to.

Comment

Funny you ask. I just finished one for my neighbor that owns an auto shop and I just got handed another one a few blocks from the first. I haven't messed with oil much. Totally different setup and controls from what I'm use to.
                              I know Oil burners (Beckett and Carlin) really well as that's what I mostly see, but I've never seen a waste oil burner before nor have I worked on one. Quite a few auto shops in my area have waste oil heaters, just never had the opportunity to bid on one yet. My buddy lives closer to the city, so he gets all the cool and interesting jobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X