X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum Temperature for Radiant Heat

I have 6 zones in a 2.5 story building. The lower lever has radiant heat and the 2 other floors have baseboard heat. The boiler usually runs at 160-180 degrees and there is a mixing loop that mixes some of the return water back with the supply to feed the radiant zones. Is there a maximum temperature to feed into the radiant floor pipe?? I don't want to risk cracking the copper radiant pipes that are buried in the concrete slab

Re: Maximum Temperature for Radiant Heat

Copper radiant is not recommended for concrete slabs but theres likely nothing you can do about that now. Depending on depth, spacing and floor covering not much over 100 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Copper radiant is not recommended for concrete slabs but theres likely nothing you can do about that now. Depending on depth, spacing and floor covering not much over 100 degrees.
      I also have an old radiant slab with 3/8" copper. No insulation to earth. A.O. Smith permaglass. Barry, can I still get a burner control for this? Got a name of supplier?
      Thanks, and what would be the min temp. please?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        I also have an old radiant slab with 3/8" copper. No insulation to earth. A.O. Smith permaglass. Barry, can I still get a burner control for this? Got a name of supplier?
        Thanks, and what would be the min temp. please?
        A.O. Smith has been around a long time. How old of a heater are we talking here? Most likey you can find a replacement part without too much trouble but may not be worth the trouble if it's ancient. What model heater is it?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          a.o. Smith has been around a long time. How old of a heater are we talking here? Most likey you can find a replacement part without too much trouble but may not be worth the trouble if it's ancient. What model heater is it?
          thanks hw 109 [ 1958] triangle tube next summer. Water temp is only 65 f.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            thanks hw 109 [ 1958] triangle tube next summer. Water temp is only 65 f.
            Wow! The old AO Smith Burkay boiler? Not many of those left around. No problem finding a direct replacement millivolt gas valve for that. What ever temp you've been running for the past fifty years is fine!

When you retire that thing, take the time and strip it down for scrap copper. You'll be glad you did.

Comment

Working...
            X