Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did they use one way screws on old burner controls ???

changed out old AO smith permaglass burner control ,and noticed this.
    Also, why is copper not used for pilot tubing? Allum. is hard to find! Any suggestions? Thanks
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Why did they use one way screws on old burner controls ???

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    changed out old AO smith permaglass burner control ,and noticed this.
    Also, why is copper not used for pilot tubing? Allum. is hard to find! Any suggestions? Thanks
    The screws are tamper proof so HO don't mess with them. As for the copper, there has been a long on going debate because at on time copper was believed to not be compatible with the odorant in natural gas.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

is it the odorant or the sulfur content?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        is it the odorant or the sulfur content?

rick.
        The odorant is Mercaptan which is a Sulfur Compound so by default it would be the Sulfur. There are a lot of studies now that seem to clear the odorant from damaging copper. I am not convinced just yet.

Mark
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-03-2011, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Now the one way screws on public bath partitions,I can understand ! I can't count the number of times thieves have stolen them from our police station !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            The odorant is Mercaptan which is a Sulfur Compound so by default it would be the Sulfur. There are a lot of studies now that seem to clear the odorant from damaging copper. I am not convinced just yet.

Mark
            Funny, the gas service coming in underground is copper ! I can't use Copper on the Burner control or W.H. gas assembly ?
            Last edited by toolaholic; 12-04-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Funny, the gas service coming in underground is copper ! I can't use Copper on the Burner control or W.H. gas assembly ?
              Copper?...really...I never have seen a gas main piped in copper

Comment

very popular in the older neighborhoods. for some reason they don't surface in copper. seems to have made a transition at the riser.

even stumble across pvc gas mains from the 70's. especially for pool heaters.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I worked on a job many years ago where all of the gas was run in hard copper under the slab.

Mark

Comment

S.F. Is replacing all the underground cooper with plastic, Iron risers wrapped in asphalt tape on the old copper

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      The screws are tamper proof so HO don't mess with them. As for the copper, there has been a long on going debate because at on time copper was believed to not be compatible with the odorant in natural gas.

Mark
                      found the 1/4" allum tube for gas appliences at O.S.H. $.95 per ft.

Comment

Working...
                      X