X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler temp only 65 f

My own home ,old radiant AO Smith Permaglass. Turned up Aquastat with no change.
    Should I first change out Temp. and Lbs. guage? Any suggestions appreciated.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Boiler temp only 65 f

I myself love the sound of crickets.
    Sothing,almost lulls a guy to sleep.
    Besides,I hear they are good luck.

You know I'd be there for ya Tool.

Comment

The pressure/temp gauge doesnt control any settings. Troubleshoot the aquastat to be sure its functioning properly.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        The pressure/temp gauge doesnt control any settings. Troubleshoot the aquastat to be sure its functioning properly.
        Thanks Barry, was hoping You'd respond. I Just received have John Siegenthaler'a Modern Hydronic Heating. I'll just pick up a new Aqustat,and see if that does it. I really Appreciate the help. Tool
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Adam, If you are using an electric water heater for radiant heat and you can't get the temperature up there is a good chance that the lower element is burned out of the water heater. In 37 years the number of bad aquastats I have run into I can count on one hand.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Adam, If you are using an electric water heater for radiant heat and you can't get the temperature up there is a good chance that the lower element is burned out of the water heater. In 37 years the number of bad aquastats I have run into I can count on one hand.
            Name is Tool, gas fired ao smith permaglass boiler 1958, 3/8" copper. radiant heat

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Name is Tool, gas fired ao smith permaglass boiler 1958, 3/8" copper. radiant heat
              I was gonna say, if you were using an electric water heater for radiant heat, that would of been brutal. I'm surprised you guys have boilers out there, didn't think it got that cold out there. Thought maybe California residents were all furnaces out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                I was gonna say, if you were using an electric water heater for radiant heat, that would of been brutal. I'm surprised you guys have boilers out there, didn't think it got that cold out there. Thought maybe California residents were all furnaces out there.
                We own an Eichler home. He did radiant back then. We're in N ca. this Morn is 32.1 f

Comment

I'm not familiar with the model. AO permaglass comes up as an electric tank. Is this thing gas, or electric? post a picture of it. to check the aquastat, take off the cover and find two wires in there. The aquastat is just a switch so if you jumper across the terminals and the thing heats then you do have a bad stat. If not, there be something else amiss with the beast. If you send me air fare I'll do a house call for you. It's beginning to get cold around here and I could use a vacation.

Yess, tool, was posting on three other forums and got messed up. sorry
                  sigpic

Comment

Tool, is this what you have?

http://www.hotwater.com/lit/spec/boilers/AOSDG25500.pdf

Comment

Thanks Barry. My model is HW-109. Looks same ,I think Mine is older 1958 installation

Comment

I never seen anything like that in my life.

Comment

Wow, a blast from the past. They put those in Mass by the thousands in the 50's all with radiant heat. 3/8" copper in concrete. We dug up and replaced miles of that stuff in the early 80's when the copper finally rotted through. So, anyhoo... what is basically is, is a 25 (iirc) gallon gas water heater that was used for a heating boiler so, all the controls for the burner should be familiar to you. The thermostat calls a relay that calls the circulator and the gas valve at the same time. Hot is wired through the high limit aquastat prior to the gas valve.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Wow, a blast from the past. They put those in Mass by the thousands in the 50's all with radiant heat. 3/8" copper in concrete. We dug up and replaced miles of that stuff in the early 80's when the copper finally rotted through. So, anyhoo... what is basically is, is a 25 (iirc) gallon gas water heater that was used for a heating boiler so, all the controls for the burner should be familiar to you. The thermostat calls a relay that calls the circulator and the gas valve at the same time. Hot is wired through the high limit aquastat prior to the gas valve.
                            Even though the controls are the same and the philosophy is the same, I still get intimated sometimes when I see something that I never saw before. The old dynatherm boilers was one in where I had to step back and let my father take over.

Comment

Working...
                            X