X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• furnace vibrations

My daughters gas furnace keeps her up at nites, she says the vibrations trough the ductwork is driving her batty I checked the ducts could not find anything loose or rubbing anything I opened the furnace and observed the blower motor while it was running and at startup there is some vibration, but how much is normal I don't know. I tried to remove the motor for a better look but could not get the squirrell cage off the shaft it had at one time shifted off the flat spot but is plenty secure, my question is how to remove the blade from the shaft or is some vibration normal. thanks for any help. ken

Re: furnace vibrations

Some things to check . Pull out the blower assembly to make things easier...

-Check for any movement of the blower wheel on the motor shaft= If blower or shaft is worn replace
    - If the Blower is tight on the shaft then check for slop in the motors bearings = If motor is sloppy replace (Amp Draw and Temperature may also give an indication of this)
    - Check the Cups ( The inward curve of each blade for Dirt / Fuzz)= Clean / Remove and Wash the blower wheel
    -Check the motor mounting cage, May be made into the motor or a separate assembly though all should have rubber mounts = Inspect for broken mounts / Inspect rubber mounting pads / tighten mounting bolts

-Typically you will need a specialty piece of equipment called a Blower Wheel Puller to get the blower cage off of the motor shaft, You WILL screw yourself if you try to beat the shaft out

Comment

He is not kidding. that puller is amazing. pulling the cage is a pure nightmare otherwise. and beating it out is a mistake you only make 15 or 20 times

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      -Typically you will need a specialty piece of equipment called a Blower Wheel Puller to get the blower cage off of the motor shaft, You WILL screw yourself if you try to beat the shaft out
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I want to thank you guys for the help I did pull out the blower assy, the motor didn't seem to have any play except a little end play I was going to take the motor to Grainger and buy a new one but since I had no way of pulling the blower off the shaft will just have to let a pro look at it,, just trying to help a struggling single mom out. ken

Comment

sometimes you can put a crescent wrench on the motor shaft so that it hits that flat spot, work the shaft back and forth holding the wheel still. and if the sun and moon are aligned with pluto, you can wiggle the wheel off.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I did try to hold the shaft with a cresent wrench it wouldn't budge without pounding on it which I figured I best not anyway after I put everything back together she called that night and said it doesn't vibrate much at all. The only other thing I did was tighten down the three rubber mounting supports, can one tighten them to much and loose the dampening effect their suppose to have? I know something will have to be replaced before long, I could see the motor shake some while running the bearing did feel tight I guess we will hold off for a while, many thanks to all andhave a safe and happy new year. ken

Comment

Also there can some times be a problem with vibrations and a hard start up with furnaces if there is no Duro Dyne connection between the furnace and the duct work

Comment

Working...
              X