Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the difference between these two layout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why my plumber connected the supply and return ends together?

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
    My guess is So You Can service or replace th√© expansion tank while leaving System opperational? Just √* guess thou
    That's the only reason why I could see the need for a ball valve, because of "ease" of maintenance on the tank itself.

However, having a bad bladder tank and a customer shutting that valve off to continue to run the system will eventually have the relief valve blowing, cause that excessive expansion has to go somewhere. On non-bladder tanks, I use stop and wastes, and install them backwards, incase I have to drain the line if the tank is full.

For bladder tanks, we always use and install the fill-trol system exactly the way you see it pictured below. On the intlet side of this tank pictured, we have a ball valve to shut the water off, but it doesn't take much in my opinion to switch out a tank if you install the boiler correctly.

We all know customers are nosey and will start closing valves they have no business touching, and I could easily see this valve being turned off. I can only remember once or twice installing a valve on a bladder tank in this situation cause there were no shut off's on the feed. I used a threaded valve though, as so no one would accidentally shut the valve off. I never had a boiler inspection fail because of no valve on the expansion tank before like pictured above.

I'm looking for it now in the PA boiler code.
    Attached Files

Comment

that is what the inspector said to me it was so you dont have to shut the system down . we put a ball valve on and if it is not in a lock mech room we take the handle off it
      im not a big fan of fill-trol system because you cant fast fill the system to purge out the air
      most of the bigger heating systems i put in have a bypass around the fill valve so i can get a lot of water when i want it
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
        that is what the inspector said to me it was so you dont have to shut the system down . we put a ball valve on and if it is not in a lock mech room we take the handle off it
        im not a big fan of fill-trol system because you cant fast fill the system to purge out the air
        most of the bigger heating systems i put in have a bypass around the fill valve so i can get a lot of water when i want it
        backfeeding a boiler will fast feed the boiler to purge air. Has no affective on fill-troll's then.
        Last edited by Flux; 01-28-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X