X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R22

Anyone check the price of R22 today! The EPA has announced a further 2012 production limit, and prices are UP. Some suppliers are limiting quantities.

Re: R22

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
    Anyone check the price of R22 today! The EPA has announced a further 2012 production limit, and prices are UP. Some suppliers are limiting quantities.
    Yo..it's winter time here...heating season!!

But if I remember correctly, I think our last bottle we bought was between $200.00 - $300.00 last August.

Comment

HVAC is a year round business for us ( a supplier ). Heat pumps are big in the south and southwest. And it's almost February....just about 6 to 8 weeks from the start of cooling season in Arizona and Texas!

Prices have jumped up, and some suppliers are limiting quantities, because they want to be able to service their regular customer through the entire year.

Obviously the EPA was not happy with the 'loophole' they created by allowing dry 22, and did not expect that market segment to skyrocket. They want to price R22 units out of the picture, so that R22 refrigerant is use ONLY to repair an old unit, but NOT to install a new "dry" condensing unit. The market will determine how this works out!

Comment

The EPA/DOE also have a proposed rule that would stop the manufacturer of Dry R22 units/components, they propose to Call them "Appliances" which would prevent them from being manufactured, under the law.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
          HVAC is a year round business for us ( a supplier ). Heat pumps are big in the south and southwest. And it's almost February....just about 6 to 8 weeks from the start of cooling season in Arizona and Texas!

Prices have jumped up, and some suppliers are limiting quantities, because they want to be able to service their regular customer through the entire year.

Obviously the EPA was not happy with the 'loophole' they created by allowing dry 22, and did not expect that market segment to skyrocket. They want to price R22 units out of the picture, so that R22 refrigerant is use ONLY to repair an old unit, but NOT to install a new "dry" condensing unit. The market will determine how this works out!
          I was actually talking to my buddy tonight, and he installed a heat pump today, and he brought up the cost of a bottle of R-22 tonight. He said he paid $300.00 for a bottle today, and he was told it could skyrocket to $600.00 a bottle. We don't do much A/C (maybe 3-5 systems a year) and the guys I have talked to... who do way more systems than us, all HATE R-410a. Everybody here wants the dry R-22 units as well, and I guess now the E.P.A. is going to force the issue. Can't wait to see what happens during cooling season when customers need to be topped of with R-22 costing $600.00 a bottle.

Comment

If it getting that bad, there will be a Black market using R290.
            leave it to the goverment to screw and cost the consumer more and more and more money.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Looks like for the moment, R22 has stabilized at about $425 "internet" price, low threes in the trade. Everyone is definitely limiting quanities. It seems the R22 manufacturing industry will not make any long term committments, until the EPA dust settles, which I guess it really has not.

The compressor comanies ( Bristol, Copeland) seem that they will not commit to approving the drop in R438a ( MO99) so it is anyone guess what will happen this summer!

Comment

curious what a bottle of R-12 goes for (??) ... I have a bottle of R-22 that was given to me many years ago, my question is what does a "bottle" weigh when full? no idea how much I have but will weigh it tonight ($$).

Comment

My last bottle, bought several a while back, cost me $100.....now that is going to be one he'll of a return on investment.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

30#r22 tank weghts about 6#s total 36#

Comment

What are people selling it for today....to a customer? Here seems to be anywhere from $35-$75 a pound.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

I'm getting $15 a pound here and damned near have a hard time looking my customers in the eyes at that.

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                        What are people selling it for today....to a customer? Here seems to be anywhere from $35-$75 a pound.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I am not saying $75 is right but the going price to purchase is almost $400 that's about $13.75 per pound.
                          I believe you need to mark it up at least 50%. You also need to take into account the going price that day for purchase. Think about how gas is bought and sold. If they sold it after mark up at the time of purchase they may not be able to purchase the next tanker of gas because chances are (these days) it may go up 25% over night. At least this way you keep your profits up, money rolling, and the ability to sleep well at night. What do you think Mojourneyman? Anybody else?
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • and other specialties.

Comment

Well, I just bought several bottles friday because a price increase was hitting this morning, I'll be keeping an eye on current costs and charging accordingly. I am in this to make a profit after all. It's tough to justify a price jump of 50 percent or more from one season to the next to a customer, much less from one week to the next when dealing with property managers.

Bottom line is that if we aren't making a profit, we don't stay in business. I just don't enjoy the artificial price hikes we're seeing in r-22.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                              Well, I just bought several bottles friday because a price increase was hitting this morning, I'll be keeping an eye on current costs and charging accordingly. I am in this to make a profit after all. It's tough to justify a price jump of 50 percent or more from one season to the next to a customer, much less from one week to the next when dealing with property managers.

Bottom line is that if we aren't making a profit, we don't stay in business. I just don't enjoy the artificial price hikes we're seeing in r-22.

You know R-22 depletes the ozone layer which protects us earthlings, each and every person on the planet, including people who have never seen an air conditioner. So there's a very real cost to using refrigerants that deteriorate the atmosphere. People and companies aren't necessarily aware or even interested about environmental damage and its effects, usually the $$ bottom line is closer and far more interesting. So government tries to balance personal needs / desires against the overall environment. When R-22 becomes expensive enough, safer long term alternatives will be employed and R-22 will be phased out. Ozone layer helped, humanity, and flow and fauna world wide helped.

(Not really preaching here btw. Just trying to balance the conversation. )
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X