X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Ol Dial-a-Charge

Anybody out there still use a dial-a-charg charging cylinder for ACR work anymore? We discuss it and explain how to use it in class, but 99.99% of the time we use a digital scale.

Re: The 'Ol Dial-a-Charge

I went to college for hvac and they didn't even go over it.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I still have one, haven't used it in years. I think the digital scale is the way to go.

Comment

I know people that still uses them. I would think it would be good bathroom reading. I am not sure the students would be ready to understand the calculations involved with using the scales with different refrigerants. Less is more considering such a diversity that you plan on teaching. Don't scare them away.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
          Anybody out there still use a dial-a-charg charging cylinder for ACR work anymore? We discuss it and explain how to use it in class, but 99.99% of the time we use a digital scale.
          I would think it would have a real value in a class room as the students can see the refrigerant that is (or could be weighed out into the cylinder) and then under stand that is the amount of liquid refrigerant that that system needs,

may be I am wrong here, but is not the volume of the needed refrigerant nearly the same regardless of the density (or weight of it), IN other words if a system took R12, it would have a give volume, of liquid in the cylinder but if that same unit was a R260 the volume would be the same but the weight would come in different, is that correct do to the density differences of the two refrigerant's, I think the R260 would weigh about 12 pounds for the same volume of 30 pounds of R12,

and I would think being able see that would help in understanding the systems,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The ol' dial a charge make a very handy lightweight recovery cylinder for small jobs like residential A/Cs or small refrigerators like under the counters etc. Also we have one hooked up to our shop project so the students can see the differences between an undercharged cap tube system and an over charged system. They can see the refrigerant in he sight glass so its a really good visual demo.

Comment

Some very cool ideas right there. We always build a couple of basic refrigeration trainers using parts from old donated water fountains, and the idea of using the dial a charge for charging & recovering the trainers is a pretty nifty thought. We start back to school here in Brandenburg, KY on Thursday. Hope you have a great school year!!!

Comment

Another useful piece of kit we no longer educate the boys on. Pity we seem to believe that the old ways were all wrong and the new ways are without fear of fault

Comment

Working...
                X