Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical hum

Hello Guys,
    I have a question I hope you can ease my mind a bit since my A/C man can not get here for awhile. I noticed a very light electrical humming sound where the fan motor is in my furnace/blower area. I turned off the breaker to the A/C and furnace and it was still there until I turned off the breaker to the motor. Everything is working fine so that is why I don't mind if he takes awhile to get to me. In the meantime what could this be and do you think it is a danger? I don't remember hearing it before, but to be honest I may not have noticed anyway as it is not very loud, you almost have to put your ear next to the unit to hear it. I appreciate your ideas and help and thanks in advance. Have a great Memorial Day especially all the Veterans out there.
    TPS

Re: electrical hum

It needs to be looked at but there is no danger. It is probably the fan motor going out possibly due to a bad spot in the windings or the shaft is binding up. Maybe the capacitor is bad and causing the motor to work really hard to start. Don't worry about it.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

It could just be the transformer for your thermostat, if it is than a slight hum is normal
      Last edited by wbrooks; 05-26-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the input and have watched it for more than a week and it has not changed. I was checking to see if there was anything new to report but everything seems the same. Everything is working fine so Gettinit I will take your advice and not worry about it as long as it keeps on working. WBrooks, I believe it may just be the transformer to the thermostat as it is a very low level hum that is always there. Anyway I appreciate your expertise and the answers.
        Take care,
        TPS

Comment

Working...
        X