Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which brand do you prefer for residential gas boilers?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which brand do you prefer for residential gas boilers?

Around 100k btu input, chimney vent, single zone, no domestic coil or radiant, just radiators or baseboard.

I see a lot of Weil-McClain in my area, just curious as to what you guys prefer and are installing these days.

cheers,

chris

Re: Which brand do you prefer for residential gas boilers?

Columbia...or Utica, (Utica makes Columbia's Cast Iron for them, Columbia makes their own Steel Boilers). We have been installing them for 40 years.

Supposedly Weil-McClain is better today, but it was always known as the "junk of the trade" around here.

New Yorker would be my second choice with maybe Peerless third.

Pennsylvania is the Boiler capital of the country, so we have a lot of homegrown companies here.

Comment

Buderus for residential and light commercial.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
        Buderus for residential and light commercial.
        I hear good things about their condensing units, haven't seen many conventional units (if any). I prefer to stick with US manufactured brands when I can.

Originally posted by Flux View Post
        Columbia...or Utica, (Utica makes Columbia's Cast Iron for them, Columbia makes their own Steel Boilers). We have been installing them for 40 years.

Supposedly Weil-McClain is better today, but it was always known as the "junk of the trade" around here.

New Yorker would be my second choice with maybe Peerless third.

Pennsylvania is the Boiler capital of the country, so we have a lot of homegrown companies here.
        I looked at the Columbia and Utica websites and it unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any distributors in IL.

Peerless is stocked by a few supply houses near me. Haven't come across New Yorker.

One of my Plumbing supply houses that also carries hydronics equipment has Lochinvar. He has a condensing unit that heats his store (with an indirect tank for the domestic hot water too) on display as a functional model. I have to say, it looks great.

Weil-Mclain is HQ'd in Michigan City, IN, which is very close to Chicago, IL. Probably why I see a lot of them here. When I've gotten baseboards, it's always been Weil-McClain brand.

Any thoughts on Burnham? My dad used to like their products a lot, I guess they are owned by U.S. Boiler Co. now.
        Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          I hear good things about their condensing units, haven't seen many conventional units (if any). I prefer to stick with US manufactured brands when I can.

I looked at the Columbia and Utica websites and it unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any distributors in IL.

Peerless is stocked by a few supply houses near me. Haven't come across New Yorker.

One of my Plumbing supply houses that also carries hydronics equipment has Lochinvar. He has a condensing unit that heats his store (with an indirect tank for the domestic hot water too) on display as a functional model. I have to say, it looks great.

Weil-Mclain is HQ'd in Michigan City, IN, which is very close to Chicago, IL. Probably why I see a lot of them here. When I've gotten baseboards, it's always been Weil-McClain brand.

Any thoughts on Burnham? My dad used to like their products a lot, I guess they are owned by U.S. Boiler Co. now.
          Burnham is another Pennsylvania company, and another nice choice for boilers. I've never installed one, but definitely seen them in my area.

Buderus is another high end boiler, but a nice price tag that comes with that. I agree with you...I only deal with American companies when it comes to Boilers.

For my situation Buderus could never offer the level of service and support from headquarters like Columbia and a few other Pennsylvania based boiler companies.

For example, if I had a problem with a Columbia boiler, I could have a factory rep/ engineer on the job within an hour. That's a great selling point to my customers...you know?

I've never installed a condensing Boiler as most people in my area don't want them.

Comment

Burnham is another Pennsylvania company, and another nice choice for boilers. I've never installed one, but definitely seen them in my area.

Buderus is another high end boiler, but a nice price tag that comes with that. I agree with you...I only deal with American companies when it comes to Boilers.

For my situation Buderus could never offer the level of service and support from headquarters like Columbia and a few other Pennsylvania based boiler companies.

For example, if I had a problem with a Columbia boiler, I could have a factory rep/ engineer on the job within an hour. That's a great selling point to my customers...you know?

I've never installed a condensing Boiler as most people in my area don't want them.
            Any specific reason why not? People here are interested in them for the tax rebates.

Comment

I have installed a lot of the condensing units, meh. Their cast iron boilers are the bomb. I really like Burnham as well. I like to stick with the push nipples. I have never had a problem with them leaking at the nipples. I guess it really depends on the burner you will be putting on the boilers as well.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

Any specific reason why not? People here are interested in them for the tax rebates.
                I'm going to have to assume it's because of price and the unknown. When boilers are being ripped out after 30+ years, one has to wonder if a condensing boiler would last just as long with the price tag that comes a long with it. Columbia's FT series was an absolute tank back in the day, and were easily pushing 40 years in service. Now granted, if it had a domestic coil installed..that was probably ripped out of the boiler a long the way and water heater installed next to it.

Only 1 customer ever asked us about condensing boilers, and after weighing the pro's and con's of it...the bottom line price was the determining factor for him.

I've only ever seen 1 condensing boiler installed in my area, and the guy lives in my dad's neighborhood. He had a Buderus installed, but the guy who installed it has been back well over a half dozen times because it was giving customer problems. What problems? I have no idea...never asked.

Comment

I'm going to have to assume it's because of price and the unknown. When boilers are being ripped out after 30+ years, one has to wonder if a condensing boiler would last just as long with the price tag that comes a long with it. Columbia's FT series was an absolute tank back in the day, and were easily pushing 40 years in service. Now granted, if it had a domestic coil installed..that was probably ripped out of the boiler a long the way and water heater installed next to it.

Only 1 customer ever asked us about condensing boilers, and after weighing the pro's and con's of it...the bottom line price was the determining factor for him.

I've only ever seen 1 condensing boiler installed in my area, and the guy lives in my dad's neighborhood. He had a Buderus installed, but the guy who installed it has been back well over a half dozen times because it was giving customer problems. What problems? I have no idea...never asked.
                  Not too many houses with domestic coil/indirect water heaters for domestic use. I remember you saying that it was very common by you. Not sure if your comment was for or against indirect heaters?

Comment

Reason against condensing boilers for a replacement....While the savings will be there over something installed in the 50's due to the better efficiency it will only be about 85% AFUE at best. It will not condense as long as the boiler is set to keep the spaces warm based on the original design. So, in essence you just gave the homeowner nothing but added floor space. 20 or more cents on the dollar savings is nothing to sneeze at but the same efficiency can be achieved with the cast iron sectional boiler.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

Not too many houses with domestic coil/indirect water heaters for domestic use. I remember you saying that it was very common by you. Not sure if your comment was for or against indirect heaters?
                      I like Boilers with Domestic coils, but imo nothing beats a boiler(less coil) with an indirect fired water heater.

But because of cost, most won't put the indirect fired water heater with the boiler when replacing the original boiler. Normally I'm installing indirect fired water heaters if the coil is limed up and an acid treatment won't break it free, or the coil is leaking.

I will always do want the customer wants, but I try and talk them out of a separate water heater for obvious reasons. But obviously sometimes price dictates what's to be installed.

Comment

I like Boilers with Domestic coils, but imo nothing beats a boiler(less coil) with an indirect fired water heater.

But because of cost, most won't put the indirect fired water heater with the boiler when replacing the original boiler. Normally I'm installing indirect fired water heaters if the coil is limed up and an acid treatment won't break it free, or the coil is leaking.

I will always do want the customer wants, but I try and talk them out of a separate water heater for obvious reasons. But obviously sometimes price dictates what's to be installed.
                        What are you using for your coils?
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Gettinit, I thought gas condensing boilers could be had with around 96% efficiency, no? Why won't a boiler condense if it sized properly for the residence it is being installed in?

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                            What are you using for your coils?
                            We use Cloroben DE

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                              Gettinit, I thought gas condensing boilers could be had with around 96% efficiency, no? Why won't a boiler condense if it sized properly for the residence it is being installed in?
                              Most older homes that utilize baseboard, radiators, or the like use at least 160 degrees fahrenheit water temperature. Now if it went to a hot water coil, you could probably just change the fan out to be able 2 extract as much be to use as possible.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                              X