Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Xcel Energy's Saver's Switch® harm our air conditioner?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Xcel Energy's Saver's Switch® harm our air conditioner?

"It's a very cool program from Xcel Energy designed to manage air conditioning use during the hottest days of the year! Earn $40 easily. All you do is sign up below...you'll receive a $40 credit on your energy bill in October each year you participate! We'll do everything. Once you sign up, Xcel Energy will attach a small device to your central AC unit outside of your house that cycles it on and off for short intervals during the hottest days. You don't even need to be home for the installation."

Your thoughts and advice?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Will Xcel Energy's Saver's Switch® harm our air conditioner?

Let them install it then bypass / override it

Since they are a load limiting device I doubt they will do any harm... Normally they just break the low voltage control circuit to the condenser, the old ones were radio controlled but with the advent of digital electrical service meters and wireless reporting i imagine the technology has gone hitech.

The systems are set up to load shed and load share during the highest energy usage times.

A new house may be able to benefit from this technology but older systems have a hard enough time keeping up with the load so why cripple them.

Xcel would save more money and overall energy by cleaning and servicing the equipment and leaving a few filters for the customer... IMO

Comment

It's b/s....buy a programable thermostat instead.

Comment

during peak usage and when they have to buy very expensive demand power, it allows them to shut off high energy using devices, (AC) and usually do on a rotational basis so it is not off an extended amount of time, it can save the power company thousands in demand power over usages, it is the same as if the thermostat shut the unit down (most likely),

they had a program like that here at one time (maybe they still do) for irrigation pumps,

Energy demand management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if they think it will save them enough demand electricity, to rebate you a 40$ check at the end of the year, try it,
        (I would check in to the policy of the power provider, is to what it would be if your not liking it and want it unhooked, before signing up),
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
        X