X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix a flat

Ok, so it isn't really fix a flat. It is a stop leak that was used sometime a year or two ago on a buddies system. It uses R-22. He wants me to come out there tomorrow to see why his outdoor unit isn't coming on.

Won't this crap screw up my gauges if I hook up to it? Could I possibly purge through my gauges with freon to avoid throwing away my gauges?
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Re: Fix a flat

Nah, your gauges will be fine, it's a small quantity dispersed through the whole system, and you really won't be drawing freon back through them anyway.

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
    Ok, so it isn't really fix a flat. It is a stop leak that was used sometime a year or two ago on a buddies system. It uses R-22. He wants me to come out there tomorrow to see why his outdoor unit isn't coming on.

Won't this crap screw up my gauges if I hook up to it? Could I possibly purge through my gauges with freon to avoid throwing away my gauges?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

So, they couldn't wait.....unit was tripped. Blah, blah, blah...contractor wouldn't pull in all the way. So, I push it in within a second of the unit starting and it trips the breaker instantly. I haven't worked on a heat pump in forever. Two of the three posts on the compressor should equal the third when ohming out right?
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • and other specialties.

Comment

No clue, but I'm just an hvac hack. I'd just check each terminal for continuity to ground, i you get that you've got a bad compressor.
        /shrug
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

C to R + C to S = S to R. My concern would be a shorted compressor winding or a shorted run cap.

Comment

I told them they need a new unit. The compressor has had it. Its a '96 Goodman 2 ton. I just figured out that you can get to the compressor by removing the panels where the electrical is located. Nice not to stand on your head.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
              So, they couldn't wait.....unit was tripped. Blah, blah, blah...contractor wouldn't pull in all the way. So, I push it in within a second of the unit starting and it trips the breaker instantly. I haven't worked on a heat pump in forever. Two of the three posts on the compressor should equal the third when ohming out right?

Yes and check each post to the case of the compressor (Continuity or OHMs on a digital meter). Always a good idea to get directly on the compressors terminals as sometimes your meter wont catch the ground from the compressor leads at the contactor to the condensers sheet metal case / electrical ground.
              Last edited by OkieBill; 06-14-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X