Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to replace gas valve along with furnace?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need to replace gas valve along with furnace?

If you don't trust your contractor to bring the proper material and be knowledgable on how to do the work, why do you employ his services?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      If you don't trust your contractor to bring the proper material and be knowledgable on how to do the work, why do you employ his services?
      I'm not qualified to judge the ability of an hvac contractor I have never used before for a furnace replacement job that occurs once in decades. He is licensed so I am generally confident in his ability. But the best outcome is when I am informed, too. I have done some research on the internet and found posts from home inspectors showing photos of code violations including sediment traps installed incorrectly (where the gas flow did not change direction at the trap). By gaining some understanding of what a correct job looks like, I am managing my contractor to ensure the best outcome. And by consulting the combined experience of all the pros on this forum, I am becoming an informed HO. And this gift of advice is shared among all the other HO's who read this forum for years to come.

Comment

I do all of my gas piping after the approved gas shut off valve. As long as you get it inspected you will not have anything to worry about. There needs to be a change in direction so if there's any garbage in the pipe it will collect in the trap. I also put in an extra t for my monometer for future use.

I'm sure somebody has done a quote for you to change out this gas furnace. If he doesn't come out with everything the first go around it's on him.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
          I do all of my gas piping after the approved gas shut off valve. As long as you get it inspected you will not have anything to worry about. There needs to be a change in direction so if there's any garbage in the pipe it will collect in the trap. I also put in an extra t for my monometer for future use.

I'm sure somebody has done a quote for you to change out this gas furnace. If he doesn't come out with everything the first go around it's on him.
          Thanks. I just discussed these points with the contractor and we are going to expand the scope of the job to include replacement of both of the gas shutoff valves. He advised against installing sediment traps as not needed because gas is cleaner these days and even the local inspectors don't require them despite code. So the net outcome is that I'm getter a better job done with the replacement of the old ball valves, and the contractor is getting a little more business from me than the initial scope of work. That's a win-win. Thanks again to all the contributors to this topic.

Comment

They may not be needed for the gas but I have found grass and other trash in them after installation, they should be installed. If for no other reason it is a place to put a manometer to check gas pressures.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

in 37 years of new construction with real commercial inspectors, i can't remember 1 time we installed a drip leg/ sediment trap. nor 1 time they called us on it.

but then again we're allowed to use gal steel pipe and it seems like other parts of the country it's a no no. can't figure that out.

the only things i've ever found in old sediment traps were cutting oil and cuttings from the threader. at 7'' w.c. there is not enough pressure to carry much of anything through the line.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Ask the question down here about drip/sediment/water traps and most young Gasfitters would think you have two heads.

Hey Rick, threading GAL pipe, arent you allowed to pro-press over there????????????????????

Comment

yes, it's new and uses the same propress machine with a new set of mega jaws. i've only seen a demo at the trade show. out west here we are the last to get the tools or fittings. the east coast with all the steel piping was first on the list to the distributors.

other than gas pipe there's not much threading going on anymore for me. not sure if $2000. worth of jaws is going to happen any time soon.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    in 37 years of new construction with real commercial inspectors, i can't remember 1 time we installed a drip leg/ sediment trap. nor 1 time they called us on it.

but then again we're allowed to use gal steel pipe and it seems like other parts of the country it's a no no. can't figure that out.

the only things i've ever found in old sediment traps were cutting oil and cuttings from the threader. at 7'' w.c. there is not enough pressure to carry much of anything through the line.

rick.
                    Hey Rick,

I hear you. In Anaheim they require and enforce.

They almost seem dissapointed when they don't get to pop you for it. lol

wookie

Comment

We have a lot of 2#, 5#; and some 10# systems here. We also have 1/4# systems in older homes. If it were not for the drip leg there would be no place to check for pressures. I didn't see any in the pics, do you guys even put in a tee for a manometer or is that installed when there is a problem or servicing needs to be done?
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

since the vast majority of our natural gas installs are 7'' w.c. the regulator is owned and maintained by the gas co. it's installed before the meter and they are the ones that adjust it when installed. every appliance then has their own built in regulator that reduces it between 3.5-5'' w.c.

although i do own a gas pressure gauge/ manometer. it only gets used when trouble shooting. we don't adjust gas regulators. the gas co. does.

on larger commercial jobs we would run medium pressure with the approval of the gas co. we furnished the regulators that were speced based on the btu's and already sized and adjusted. of course that was 17+ years ago.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

It is what it is I suppose, thanks.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                          X