Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Need to replace gas valve along with furnace?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to replace gas valve along with furnace?

I just received an estimate to replace my residential gas furnace which is almost 30 years old. The contractor indicated in the estimate that he will also replace the gas supply line as part of the job, but he did not mention replacement of the valve. Is the valve one of those items that you would generally replace along with the furnace?

Re: Need to replace gas valve along with furnace?

You mean Regulator? If so, why replace the gas line? It may need to be re-piped for code reasons but replaced? I suppose pics would be fair. At least get one other quote.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

you sure he's not referring to the gas flex connector and shut off valve.

unless your gas line is undersized i doubt there is a need for a new gas line from the source/ meter to the furnace. chances are it's 3/4'' pipe.

the gas flex should always be replaced and if the gas valve is not a newer style ball valve, then that too should be replaced.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

What's wrong with the old style ball valves?

Comment

what i meant to get accross is that the gas valve should be of a newer design. that's a ball valve.

not an older style plug / gas cock.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            You sure he's not referring to the gas flex connector and shut off valve ...
            Rick, yes that's what I meant, I just said it wrong. Sorry.

I'm attaching two photos. The gas furnace is right next to my gas water heater, and both are in a small hallway closet, California condo-style.

As you see, there are two shutoff valves, one for the furnace and another for the water heater. They appear to be ball valves. Do you think they should be replaced as part of the furnace replacement?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
              Rick, yes that's what I meant, I just said it wrong. Sorry.

I'm attaching two photos. The gas furnace is right next to my gas water heater, and both are in a small hallway closet, California condo-style.

As you see, there are two shutoff valves, one for the furnace and another for the water heater. They appear to be ball valves. Do you think they should be replaced as part of the furnace replacement?
              I hope there is a common valve and a drip leg somewhere...if not it wouldn't pass here. I would change the flex but the valve should be ok if it is rated for the application. They are cheap anyhow.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

yes, i would replace the gas valve's and of course the flex line. that grey flex is from the 80's.

those valves are also 1980's and they too can and will leak. also the cost of a flex and valve is $15.00 not much when you consider the cost of the furnace replacement.

i can't tell from the photos. but is the gas main serving 3 fixtures? is it 1/2'' or 3/4''. your water heater is 40,000 btu's how much is the new furnance and other? fixture.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I have only two gas fixtures, the furnace and the water heater. The gas supply line continues to the laundry room for a gas dryer hookup but it is closed off since my dryer and everything else is electric.

I don't know if my gas main is 1/2" or 3/4", but I can measure it if needed.

The water heater is a 30 gal Rheem model 22V30-30F. I just checked the Rheem spec sheet and it says 30,000 BTU's, if I read it correctly.

The current furnace is Day/Night brand at 45,000 BTU's and I'm just guessing 60 - 70% efficiency for that era. The new furnace proposed is a Carrier two-stage 35,000 high / 23,000 low with 80% efficiency.

As pointed out earlier, I don't see a drip leg (sediment trap). Are these a legacy of past years when natural gas was of lower purity? Do I need one of those?

According to CA law, I also need to pay another service for a HERS duct leakage test at $250 - $300 to get signoff on the permit. I wonder if this cost is worthwhile as my average monthly utility bill (includes gas & electric) over the past 24 months is $60. It peaks at $90 in the winter. I might be able to get an exception for this test if I have less than 40 feet of ducting in my small condo. Is there any rule of thumb on how many linear feet of ducting you normally expect per square foot of building? My condo is only 987 square feet.
                  Last edited by AverageHomeowner; 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Is that a ground clamp on your gas line? Looking at photo#2

I don't believe that's a good idea to use a gas line for ground.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                      Is that a ground clamp on your gas line? Looking at photo#2

I don't believe that's a good idea to use a gas line for ground.

Cactus Man
                      actually it's required here. realize that anything metalic can and will be a potential condutor. the gas line is also connected to a water heater that is connected to the gas.

even the telephone and cable boxes have ground wires.

on large jobs like apartments/ condos, it's not uncommon to see a group of 30 lines all bonded together with 1 wire and 30 ground clamps to the water line.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

It is code in many places. The gas line is not the ground but is rather grounded usually to the copper water line

Comment

Thanks for all the responses which are helping me to scope the work for my hvac contractor to replace the existing furnace and update any related items. The contractor is licensed to work on gas piping, so this is an opportunity to get everything right during this service call.

My remaining concern is about the (lack of a) sediment trap. As shown in the attached photos, there is a gas supply line that comes in from the back of the closet serving the furnace and water heater. This gas line continues into the adjacent laundry room (shown where the pipe turns down and to the right) to serve a gas dryer, but my dryer is electric so that end point is turned off. The only gas appliances in use are the furnace and the water heater.

I understand the sediment trap should be between the shutoff valve and the appliance, and the sediment trap should be at a juncture where the gas flow changes direction by 90 degrees. For the water heater, a Tee fitting on the water heater would work with the gas connector coming in the top of the Tee and the sediment trap on the bottom of the Tee.

For the furnace, I don't see an obvious solution due to configuration of the piping. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Just let the tech fix it while there...5 minute job.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                              Just let the tech fix it while there...5 minute job.
                              The contractor will do the work, but I want to get closure on a solution and the parts he will need to bring with him so all this can happen in one visit.

For the furnace, would you put an elbow on top of the shutoff valve, then connect a Tee to the elbow with the sediment trap at the bottom of the Tee and the flex coming out of the top of the Tee? Please see my sketch attached (apologies in advance, I'm no artist).
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X