Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For a Consumer's understanding, Please

Originally posted by lreops View Post

Long story, short. Heat wave coming, last night turned on A/C to prepare, worked good putting out cold air, couple hours later the inside fan/blower quit working. Outside unit freezing up and left off all night. This morning called for service.

It is a Trane XV 80 Furnace with XL15i HP. 5years old in August.
    Parts still in warranty.

Serviceman tells me that the blower motor, circuit board, module, and I think something else. He tells me that in this case, because still under warranty, rather than fix the one part that has broke down, it is recommended to replace all. Makes sense to me.

And you are a HVAC tech? It doesn't make sense, unless you were trying to steal parts from a manufacturer under false pretense for your own selfish reasons. You said it so plain "rather than fix the one part". Yes I am a licensed plumber but I also have a good understanding of HVAC.

Now, the part I don't understand. The bill is for $601.00. $89.00 for the service call, the rest for the warranty work replacing the parts still under warranty. When questioned, was told that he was getting his numbers out of his company rate charges. I asked for a breakdown and was told that I had to call the office but it generally included the paperwork involved with warranty work and other administrative costs along with the labor. Their per hour rate is $89.00.

And you went forward, now upset....Buyers remorse (Buyer's remorse is the sense of regret after having made a purchase. It is frequently associated with the purchase of an expensive item such as a car or house. It may stem from fear of making the wrong choice, guilt over extravagance, or a suspicion of having been overly influenced by the seller.)

Now mind you, I'm not against paying for work that is needed, but I don't understand how parts still under warranty can be so costly, especially when what is needed to be replaced can be uninstalled and reinstalled in less than an hour.

I guess this should have been asked prior to work being done. "Their price is their price. I think they overcharged but they were up front with you. " You just didn't like the answer. I am also not going to start the HR vs Upfront pricing debate but it is clear you do not understand the concept...but to be fair, when I see many of the pricing models, neither do I.

I'll admit that I'm old and may still be living in the past and out of touch with today's repair costs, just want to know if this all sounds like it's in the ballpark with what you guys charge.

Ok, call me crazy or ignorant, but it seems like you are fishing for prices on an International forum. Again, "Their price is their price. I think they overcharged but they were up front with you." And as implied by me at an hourly rate, your were screwed. If and only if everything involved with the job took 1 hr, ie. getting parts, diagnosis, repair... I only say this because of what their hourly rates are. As a price book company, it sounds in line, maybe a little high. I am sure he pulled the prices at a ala carte for everything. Many do, others give price breaks for multiple orders since getting there costs as well. Again, "Their price is their price. I think they overcharged but they were up front with you. " You just didn't like the answer. I am also not going to start the HR vs Upfront pricing debate but it is clear you do not understand the concept...but to be fair, when I see many of the pricing models, neither do I.

Thanks

Ron

Now Ron, I understood it that way. Yes, I asked for some clarification questions to make sure I could respond better. You didn't like that either but I was trying to help. And some were rhetorical. I know you are/were upset. I think you will just have to deal with it. And so far, I have yet to see another tech. disagree with my assessment of the possible fraudulent behavior....or should I say the troubleshooting of your unit. Maybe with you comment about being old and out of touch was a cry for sympathy? Oh and by the way, did you get a separate bill for the troubleshooting, my reading and inference skills would lead me to believe that you didn't but.... Do you think that you need not pay for that? The extra cost on parts BTW also helps to cover any possible call backs for work under warranty of their work, it has to come into play even if you are not paying for parts. Let's be fair, they cannot help things like faulty equipment and neither can you but you would't expect to be charged extra for it would you? Many things could have been discussed to further your lack of education in business and HVAC should you have chosen to respond with actual answers instead of smart a$$ remarks. Now I see by you loving Ricks answer, and it was a good one with good advice, you were wanting a pity party and a way out of paying part of your bill. Explain, where I may be going astray with that last comment.
    Last edited by Gettinit; 06-21-2012, 11:10 AM. Reason: yellow was hard to read
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      how long was the guy actually at the house? 6 hours?
      He says the repair was one hour. Neglected to mention all of the other time invested in troubleshooting and the fact that many companies charge to get the parts as well as drive back to a job to finish/do the work. The guy may have had 6 hrs in it when you take everything into consideration.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Before I get started, I did HVAC not so long ago when I lived in VA and have an expired master card from VA. When he quoted you the price, it was a suggestion coming from trane that each component should take this long to change out. The company has their hourly rate, multiply the 2, that's your price. What it doesn't take into consideration that 1) the prices are overinflated for that "just in case" and 2)that techs get better and faster with time.

It is possible this was one of those cases where the guy was fast enough to turn a 6 hour (by the book)job into 1 hour(actual time) job. It sounds extreme but it's really not. As far as replacing things that "aren't needed" is an iffy topic. The heat wave is at the east coast and plays havoc with electronics. Sometimes it's better to replace it now(might not be broke) then replace it 3 months from now when it's hotter. Electronics don't give off warning signs....they work or they don't. If the fan needed replacement(5 years is kinda early) then replacing the other stuff was decent. If you were my Dad, I'd tell you the same.

Let me play devil's advocate for one second. If he quoted you, and you agreed upon, 6 hours labor to replace this stuff and that turned into 8 hours of him working on there, would you now think to pay for those 2 extra hours labor or stick by the original quote?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
        X